LowTechTank doesn't need water changes even higher light?

Forum for discuss on algae.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: LowTechTank doesn't need water changes even higher light

Unread post by saikumar »

Dhruv wrote:
Kaushik wrote:Dear Experts... I'm going to set up a 4 feet long Low Tech Tank very soon ......While discussing with Cor. Anand I got some useful keys regarding the maintenance of Low Tech Tanks..... Is it a fact that in Low Tech Tank higher light levels along with low CO2 levels make conditions much easier for algae to adapt to. Plants find it harder to adapt to high-light low CO2 conditions while algae can do much better in such situations? At the same time regular water changes effectively causing fluctuations in the CO2 levels in the Low Tech tank which provides a perfect environment for algae to start thriving in. So in short I should use low intensity light for my tank and do no water changes at all.. only top off for evaporated water ? I request the fellow members who are maintaining Low Tech Tank to share their experiences here ... Thanks

Im no expert, but here are my 2 cents on your post.

I have been doing low tech setups for a while now (no fancy filters or pressurized CO2) and IMHO, they are as easy or tough to maintain as hi tech setups... The primary difference in my opinion between the 2 is the growth rate besides the cash spent. Hi tech setups have phenomenal growth rate, while in a low tech setup, the plants just kind of sit there and throw out a new leaf every now and then.

As far as plants go (including algae), you need three things to have life sustained in any manner:
1) Light
2) Nutrient
3) CO2

Think of these in a tripod kind of way: If all three are the same length, then you get a balanced tank with no issues with algae, fish health or plant health. If the legs are not in proportion to each other, the whole system will collapse.
So going back to your query: Low intensity light means lower nutrients to be added which means there is less of a demand for CO2. Basically you dont need to add ferts to your tank, the fish and the fish food should give it enough nutrient value.

As far as water changes go.... please dont skip this. Basic school science tells us that water evaporates leaving salts behind. If you just keep topping up evaporation loss, in due course of time your tank water will have an ionic composition that is shot to hell. And this goes beyond Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates...

So my humble suggestion to you is to just do a weekly water change, and nothing else... control the photoperiod to limit algae growth and if you do see algae, reduce the fish load of the tank... the key is Sybiosis.

I might be wrong on this but see if it works for you.... this has worked for me...

All the best...
Very well put across in very simple terms, hope couple of us pick up the habit.
:clp
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

After few months of labour .. finally the tank shaped up as per my assumptions... Totally hassle free.. managing its own way.. a natural tank.. may be not so impressive ... but a living Eden for my watery pets...
Tank Details..
Length: 4 ft 6 inch Height 18 inch Width 18 inch Vol approximately 285 ltr.
Substrate: 1-2 mm Amethyst Quartz stone with white sand and sea shells.
Fishes: 7 Congo tetra, 2 Redtail Rainbows, 4 Neon Rainbows, 2 WCMM, 4 X ray Tetra, 5 Siamese Algae Eater, 2 Madagascar Cichlid, 1 EBJD, 2 Gourami, 3 Assassin snails.
Plants: Cryptocorine 3 variety, Hygrophila Corymbosa- Difformis , Rotala indica, Nanjas indica,Bacopa, 2 Types of Echinodorus, 2 types of Java mosses, 2 Types of Anubias, Hydrilla, Hornwort, Lemna, Grasses etc.
Maintenance: 10% Water Changes in every ten days with adequate PMDD. No Co2. No Glut.
Light: 1 Tube-36 watts K 8000, Photo periodicity 10 hrs daily, Aireator used all time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Liked it a lot,,,, i am also having similar low tech four feeter ,,,,,,,,,
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

I really liked the thread topic/heading. Thats the kind of tank i have been conspiring for since like forevaa...
I have a planted low tech i did like 2 yrs. or so back. I even made a thread about it here...'walstad method tank' something, would have linked but am on my phone and feeling lazy!
Tank is small, running on very little input, I seldom do water changes. Only top off the evaporated mostlys. Water is always crystal clear. Fish are not just healthy but breeding and surviving in that pip squeak of a tank. Had a bunch of fish in it but later replaced them all with platies. Now i am having the second gen. of platies in there, fries not only survived but grew to adult size with no apparent input from me. Which is a first for me btw so :-).

I want to try what i did with a larger tank and this time with sunlight as a light source. Only problem is that am a lazy bum with lots of other fish keeping me occupied for now.

D.walstad herself mentions in her book that she has some tanks running for 10 yrs or so, on minimal water changes or just topping off the evaporated water. Mentioned in chapter 10 I reckon.

Not supporting it, just saying what I read. Followed her method to the word I did and it worked for me. 'Standing on the shoulders of giants' as the old saying goes.