SOS ALGAE PROBLEM!

Forum for discuss on algae.
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: SOS ALGAE PROBLEM!

Unread post by krishvijay »

Ok I will plant more....Thanks for the sugesstion.
Service to man,animals is service to GOD.
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Hi partha increase the plant load will have to wait and watch.
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Solcielo lawrencia »

The plants are suffering from a micronutrient toxicity. Do a 100% water change and don't dose micros at all.
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Solcielo lawrencia wrote:The plants are suffering from a micronutrient toxicity. Do a 100% water change and don't dose micros at all.
Hi lawrencia,
Can you please explain what is micronutrient toxicity?
I have never added any micronutrients till now.
Cheers.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Krishna,

It will take you two years in this hobby to get to a state where you will have a crystal clear tank with little or no algae. If you expect a tank like that from day one, tone down those expectations.

First and foremost, algae cannot be removed, it can be controlled. Algae is a part of nature and competes with plants for the very same things - light and nutrients. Mature aquarists are able to balance out the level of light, nutrients, plants and quality of water to reach a low algae stage where the plants are growing relatively faster than the algae.

Do not be disheartened. First and foremost, put more plants. Tenellus is a plant of choice for most beginners but also attracts algae like a magnet. Of course the seller did not tell you this !! Once you have enough plants in there, give them sufficient light and change the water once or twice a week as per your convenience. Most plants will get their nutrients from the fresh water that you put. Over a period of time, your plants will start to grow. At some point, they will stop growing since your tank is limited in size. If you trim some of the plants, you will land up making space for growth. This is practiced by farming communities even now - burning a field to stimulate new growth. If you dont trim, the algae will come back.

Dont worry about adding fertilisers, it will only add to your cost. Learn to tend for your plants and see them grow as nature made them. As you do so, you will also learn how to balance between slow, fast and medium growing plants.

In the last several years, I have realised that Otos make no difference whatsover. Amano shrimps do, but mostly on wood surfaces which have slime layers on them. Go for native species which keep munching on algae. They cost one tenth of Otos and are mostly very playful.
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Solcielo lawrencia »

krishvijay wrote:
Solcielo lawrencia wrote:The plants are suffering from a micronutrient toxicity. Do a 100% water change and don't dose micros at all.
Hi lawrencia,
Can you please explain what is micronutrient toxicity?
I have never added any micronutrients till now.
Cheers.
Micronutrients are the heavy metals that plants require in very minute quantities, such as:
iron (Fe)
manganese (Mn)
boron (B)
zinc (Zn)
molybdenum (Mo)
copper (Cu)
nickel (Ni)
and some others.

Most of these micros are provided by fish food, except for iron which usually needs to be added. If there is too much of one or more of these heavy metals, they can become toxic and damage plants. These toxicities can even induce potassium, calcium, iron, and other deficiencies. These are not true deficiencies but induced deficiencies.

The pictures of your plants strongly indicate that there is a micronutrient toxicity. Which one(s)? I don't know, I'm still learning which metal is associated with the symptoms. But the old growth which looks terrible and infested with algae is a typical sign. If you find yourself adding a lot of macros but still get certain kinds of algae such as GSA, then the likely culprit is a micro-tox.

Also, the water supply may already contain high levels of these metals so the water may be the problem, especially if it's well water or from contaminated lakes or rivers. RO or distilled water needs to be used in these cases.
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Hi,
Apuda ji,very nice useful writeup for a novice like me :) I will tone done my expectations a little bit. ,With all your help I will post a lush green crystal clear tank very soon 8-)
Hi lawrencia,
Thanks for your efforts to explain the about the micronutrient toxicity really useful, as u mentioned I will try using ro water .
Thank you all, looking forward for more support.
Krishna.
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: ALGAE PROBLEM 2.0!

Hi brothers,
with valuble input from all now i can see my plants growing and pearling hands ,
the brown diatoms and GSA are reduced to great extent,
on advice of rajiv ji ,karthik,apuda ji increased one T5 results were immediate,
increased bioload on advice of partha,thanks to vince and lawrencia for valuble inputs.
on my own i did DIY CO2 yipi ,majority of the plants doing good with one exception E.tenellus i dont know what is the problem withthe little fella?
Along with the plant growth i see an uninvited guest growing rapidly,by the looks i guess it is stag horn algae,am i right?
I tried plucking them from the leaves many times {they are firmly attached},but they come back.
They are in most of the leaves once again i require your help to beat this algae,waiting for your suggestions.
thank you,
Krishna.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.