BGA a troublesome pest!

Forum for discuss on algae.
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

BGA a troublesome pest!

Unread post by mats »

Hi friends
Has anyone used erythromycin for Eradication of BGA ?
Can anyone throw some light on erythromycin sulphate and erythromycin estolate? How r they different and can both be used?
Further how many times the dose has to be added during the tenure of the treatment ?
Help guys. :wait
Regards
Kuldip
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BGA a troublesome pest!

Unread post by SCORPIO »

BGA appears in the aquarium due to low level of nitrate and slow circulation. It is best to increase the circulation of water and black out for several days to get rid of BGA.

Using antibiotic, you can remove BGA. It will kill bacteria but antibiotic also known to kill useful bacteria. So always try natural remedies to remove algae.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

SCORPIO wrote:BGA appears in the aquarium due to low level of nitrate and slow circulation. It is best to increase the circulation of water and black out for several days to get rid of BGA.
+1, if possible also remove your fish, if you got CO2 keep it running...then add the erithro, not sure of exact chemical :( just took the one the medical shop gave.
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Thank you Rajiv ji and marsaiko for the help
Regards and god bless both of u
Kuldip
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

[quote="SCORPIO"]BGA appears in the aquarium due to low level of nitrate and slow circulation. It is best to increase the circulation of water and black out for several days to get rid of BGA.

I am having bad BGA attack in my tank.Reduced light,food and photoperiod.
In case of complete darkness for few days,any possibility of my Hair grass dying off as planted 10 days back?
Please elaborate the ill effects on few newly planted plants in case of total blackout.
Dont want to use antibiotic as have lot of livestock.
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Hi Somen,
I had used erythromycin at the time of posting of this article, but it did not help me.
Firstly let me point out that the medication I bought from the chemist shop did not dissolve in the water.
Further research revealed that I needed "dispersible" version of the drug but the same was not available in the market.
I presume that was the reason for the same not being effective.

I had finally emptied the whole tank and started afresh as the same had a lot of waste materials and was dirty and probably that's why it was attracting the algae. On cleaning the whole tank I started a good filter and good circulation in the tank.
This cured the problem for me.

I have never tried the blackout method as I am not comfortable keeping my fish in the dark in this manner, so I cannot comment on its success in this case.
Warm regards
And please do post how you eradicate this algae.
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

mats wrote:Hi Somen,
I had used erythromycin at the time of posting of this article, but it did not help me.
Firstly let me point out that the medication I bought from the chemist shop did not dissolve in the water.
Further research revealed that I needed "dispersible" version of the drug but the same was not available in the market.
I presume that was the reason for the same not being effective.

I had finally emptied the whole tank and started afresh as the same had a lot of waste materials and was dirty and probably that's why it was attracting the algae. On cleaning the whole tank I started a good filter and good circulation in the tank.
This cured the problem for me.

I have never tried the blackout method as I am not comfortable keeping my fish in the dark in this manner, so I cannot comment on its success in this case.
Warm regards
And please do post how you eradicate this algae.
Thanks Mats for the update.
Yes for the time being I have started with Minimum photoperiod and lowering the light intensity.Stopped Ferts/min food for fishes and high circulation as possible.Let me see if it reduces, I cannot start fresh, as the tank is full and scaped.
Will update further...
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rajivzee »

You can find nicely explained info for all algae problems.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Somen Ji, it is best to use Gluteraldehyde to keep algae away from your aquarium.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

A wonderful thread rajivzee. Thanks for the link
Regards