Help Needed

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Help Needed

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Firstly, you cannot soften water unless you have a constant source of soft water. What this means is that if you do a water change with hard water, you are back to square one.

Secondly, why do you need soft water ? You have not told us what you intend to keep in the tanks. Most fish and plants tolerate hard water to a reasonable extent.
Neeraj
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Neeraj »

apuda2010 wrote:Firstly, you cannot soften water unless you have a constant source of soft water. What this means is that if you do a water change with hard water, you are back to square one.

Secondly, why do you need soft water ? You have not told us what you intend to keep in the tanks. Most fish and plants tolerate hard water to a reasonable extent.
i am not in intention for adding Peat as it will tan the tank, secondly water in my locality is so hard and TDS is around 500+, I use to get exotic stocks only and most of the verities are form soft water and and once they reach to me if i add them into tanks containing hard water you know the meaning

one of my display tank will be of Extra Clear Glass and i dont want deposits on that glass, thats why i was lloking for an answer will Kent water softner will serve my purpose ??
Regards,
Neeraj
https://www.facebook.com/petduniya
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Yes, Kent water softener should serve your purpose. If you see the chemistry of water filteration, a full scale RO unit will clear the water of nearly all minerals through a process of coarse filteration, UV sterilisation, deionisation followed by passing the liquid through a very fine membrane.

You don't need sterile water, nor do you need water devoid of all minerals. Hence if you add a water softener, it will cause heavy salts to precipitate out (very similar to boiling). You will be left with what you require - water with lower hardness.

If the TDS is very high, you will need to regenerate the resin very frequently.