Best Thermometer for the tank usage

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Best Thermometer for the tank usage

Unread post by vasishta.sushant »

I am currently using a 80 rs thermometer that has a horrible calibration and I am looking at getting a better/more precise thermometer for the Aquarium usage. Would be interested in knowing what all you guys are using and would even appreciate the recommendations.
30x18x18 Tank | ADA Amazonia | EHEIM Classic 2217 | Finnex RAY2 LED | EHEIM Jager | Pressurized CO2

Learning to sustain...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best Thermometer for the tank usage

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Most of the Chinese thermometers have the same story.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
rajivzee
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rajivzee »

SCORPIO wrote:Most of the Chinese thermometers have the same story.
:1
Thanks & Regards
Rajiv Anand

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

I keep 2-3 thermometers in my sump and avarage the readings...... that's how it worked for me........ :P :P
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

Why not use scientific thermometer used in the lab. Its accurate and > Rs. 70/.. the only draw back is that it has mercury...
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
Neeraj
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Neeraj »

Go for digital one for accuracy check video on my fb page
Regards,
Neeraj
https://www.facebook.com/petduniya
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I found the digital ones aren't very accurate. The lab grade scientific ones are the best but the mercury usage is a deterrent. I found a TDS meter (HM AP1) which has inbuilt thermometer. I'll most probably buy that since it'll serve my other usage of TDS measurement of the tap water.
30x18x18 Tank | ADA Amazonia | EHEIM Classic 2217 | Finnex RAY2 LED | EHEIM Jager | Pressurized CO2

Learning to sustain...
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

What exactly will you do with a scientifically accurate thermometer ? A couple of degrees here and there will not do any harm to anything.

Believe me.

I had a Ranco fail on me, a WillHi sensor go bad, a Coralife digital one with 5 degrees off and the worst one - a Hydor inline heater tripping on the thermostat killing a pair of discus. Can you beat this ?

In this hobby, ultimately what works is not a long list of expensive equipment, but just plain and simple common sense.
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

apuda2010 wrote:What exactly will you do with a scientifically accurate thermometer ? A couple of degrees here and there will not do any harm to anything.

Believe me.

I had a Ranco fail on me, a WillHi sensor go bad, a Coralife digital one with 5 degrees off and the worst one - a Hydor inline heater tripping on the thermostat killing a pair of discus. Can you beat this ?

In this hobby, ultimately what works is not a long list of expensive equipment, but just plain and simple common sense.
I don't want things to be accurate, just little closer to the actuals. My actually thermometer is way off. Don't really want to spend much but if something little expensive works better. I liked the TDS meter with inbuilt temp sensor since I was anyway looking for a TDS meter. ONly trouble is that it won't be constant monitoring type and I'll have to be dependent on manual polling.

Learning to sustain...
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Another way to check the temp is to put a few drops on the inner side of your wrist. The water must neither feel warm nor cold. And with passage of time, we learn to check the temp just by touching the glass (in generality). Guys if any one feels that this is wrong, please post and do correct me.
Regards