Query about canister filter

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
hirakjyoti
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Query about canister filter

Unread post by hirakjyoti »

if i add a canister filter in aquarium,then which duration and how much water should i replace to clean the tank,is it requre to clean all set up of aquarium monthly?actually i want to avoid to clean all setup monthly so what should i do?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: quary about canister filter

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Water change depends on number of fishes and tank size. Usually 30% to 40% weekly water change is enough. Never change more than 50% water. More water change causes dramatic change in water parameters. After every 3 months clean the filter.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

hirakjyoti wrote:is it requre to clean all set up of aquarium monthly
big NO. cleaning ful setup changes water chemistry.
rahul2kcuteguy
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rahul2kcuteguy »

Well, good filter will only help in keeping your water conditions in control but 25-30 % water change is must biweekly atleast.

Lot depends on Bio load as Rajeevji suggested but volume of water change should not exceed 50% until any treatment done for disease and most important never do water change alonside cleaning filter as it can affect beneficial bacteria immensly....

But water changes within permisiable limits are the lifeline of this Hobby.

Thanks
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

SCORPIO wrote:Water change depends on number of fishes and tank size. Usually 30% to 40% weekly water change is enough. Never change more than 50% water. More water change causes dramatic change in water parameters. After every 3 months clean the filter.
Rajiv i disagree to your point that more than 50% water change will cause dramatic change.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

Pintoo wrote:
hirakjyoti wrote:is it requre to clean all set up of aquarium monthly
big NO. cleaning ful setup changes water chemistry.
Doing a full setup clean doesn't change water chemistry that much but it does destroy completely the biological cycle present in the tank.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Abhi wrote:
SCORPIO wrote:Water change depends on number of fishes and tank size. Usually 30% to 40% weekly water change is enough. Never change more than 50% water. More water change causes dramatic change in water parameters. After every 3 months clean the filter.
Rajiv i disagree to your point that more than 50% water change will cause dramatic change.
i guess he meant Drastic results ( as in damaging the over all equilibrium of the tank) change was just a "typo".
Sushant