Best filtration for a big planted tank - 36x36x18 inches?

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
Keluthi
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Best filtration for a big planted tank - 36x36x18 inches?

Unread post by Keluthi »

Hi everybody!
Please suggest me with a good filtration method for a 3 feet long ad 3 feet high tank. It's gonna be a planted one! I don't want a sump filter!!
I am thinking of using an aquarium pump along with a wavemaker or a circulation pump. Can anyone advice me on choosing good pumps and how to use them effectively?
Whether we like it or not the change has occurred, struggle is our life and life is struggle. - Velupillai Pirabhakaran.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best filtration for a big planted tank - 36x36x18 inches

Unread post by SCORPIO »

4 foot height tank?

You need lots of lighting equipments.

Water volume will be around 360 litres. You need a good canister filter along with power heads for water circulation. Eheim 2217 will be a good choice for your setup.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Keluthi
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Keluthi »

Thanks Rajiv ji. Got to check its price in Tamilnadu.
The tank is 3 feet high. For lighting, already it has 2x20W LED floodlights. How much watts/lights should be added? I want this to be very low tech/no co2 tank.
Whether we like it or not the change has occurred, struggle is our life and life is struggle. - Velupillai Pirabhakaran.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Keluthi wrote:Thanks Rajiv ji. Got to check its price in Tamilnadu.
The tank is 3 feet high. For lighting, already it has 2x20W LED floodlights. How much watts/lights should be added? I want this to be very low tech/no co2 tank.
Which plants do you planning?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

Keluthi
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Keluthi »

Java Fern, Anubias, vallisneria, hygros, swords, crypts. Also, I've decided to add 2x40W LED floodlights, a total of 120 watts. Will this give enough lighting to grow all these plants?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Keluthi wrote:Java Fern, Anubias, vallisneria, hygros, swords, crypts.
40 watt LEDs will not penetrate upto surface of your aquarium. You need atleast 100 watts of LEDs. It will be better to use 3watt or 5 watt LEDs of reliable make.

Are these floodlights Chinese? If they are Chinese make floodlights, they are worth to buy.

Keluthi
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Keluthi »

Rajivji, right now there is 2x20w and I'm going to 2 more, add 2x40w... So, the total is 120 watts...