use of coconut water as manure

Post your quires on Carbon Dioxide and alternative products.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: use of coconut water as manure

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

Or maybe there are some specific kind of bacteria that are needed to break down the Coconut water
Until considerable colonies of those bacteria are flourished, try dosing less for a while and then gradually increase the dosage
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

Arjun Tandon wrote:Or maybe there are some specific kind of bacteria that are needed to break down the Coconut water
Until considerable colonies of those bacteria are flourished, try dosing less for a while and then gradually increase the dosage
which types of bacteria commonly seen planted tanks
wiil u be pls to list out them

i need a data base to continue this study

share maximum
test reports

regards,

NEIL
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@Neil

I think Arjun means to say that in general.. He is alluding to the fact that the coconut water has a lot of minerals, being so nourishing (everyone knows coconut water is used even in tissue culture as a nutrient medium, for convalescents, for athletes even who want exta zip). When the natural microbe population found in all cycled tanks acts on the coconut water's organic components, it breaks it down into simpler components that the plants can use better. The same way the microbes break fish waste down, taking the tank water from ammonia to nitrites, then to nitrates that plants can absorb.... That is his point.

Google has a lot of information on these wonderful bacteria. I myself was so impressed with how they make tanks a livable evironment for fish, i started researching probiotic drinks for human health online. That is why i now have three and drink two a day :lol: Arjun knows about that too...
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

Maybe the milky appearance is due to a bacterial bloom
and also noticed that there is a brownish film coating on water surface some times
so it is better to use in least quantity

it is better to use for plant cultivation ....... than in main display tanks.

regards,
NEIL
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Ya exactly as Romi describes. Out of the hundreds of articles I have read on Nitrogen cycle in aquariums, no article specifies what kind of bacteria it is. But I know that each bacteria grows best in one or two specific conditions. They are all present in the aquarium but colonize properly only if their specific conditions are met. Maybe the bacteria in the aquarium that can break the coconut water maybe similar to the ones in coconut water kefir.

But today I also read that:
Coconut water contains many anti-bacterial contents, mainly Monolaurin, an anti bacterial and anti viral body that helps kill lipid coated viruses of many dangerous diseases such as HIV, Herpes, flu and many other pathogenic bacteria.

So maybe the Monolaurin is making the breakdown process difficult. I'll look more to it.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

@ Arjun Re: monolaurin
I would not bet on monolaurin achieving adequate concentrations to suppress bacteria. It acts as a "surfactant" so it's antibacterial properties are concentration dependent. Anyway once exposed to the outside environment coconut and coconut water go bad really fast regardless of antibacterial content.

I think the main issue is the sugar content of coconut water: sucrose, glucose and fructose. You need to be careful with dosing these in freshwater tanks. Bacteria just love these and if your bacterial bloom is big enough your BOD goes through the roof killing everything else in the tank.

As Neil has already pointed out you need to be careful and patience is the key here. I assume this means small doses.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

@deepesh: Thanks for the nice info. All of it comes back to bio load and less dosing
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

The wikipedia page on the nitrogen cycle is very informative and will answer most of the questions.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Another informative page on this thread :)

Neil, can you tell me what would happen if coconut water was dried in the sun? Would you get a powdery residue? Would you say that if made into balls and pushed under root-feeders like crypts, it might be like root tabs?

That would bypass the water column route, and the resultant milkiness and surface brown film, and make for a good eco-friendly fertilizer. ...
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:Another informative page on this thread :)

Neil, can you tell me what would happen if coconut water was dried in the sun? Would you get a powdery residue? Would you say that if made into balls and pushed under root-feeders like crypts, it might be like root tabs?

That would bypass the water column route, and the resultant milkiness and surface brown film, and make for a good eco-friendly fertilizer. ...
too much water and percentage of dissolved material is very low. I doubt you will get anything worthwhile. would not be worth the cost and energy.