SAVE MY DISCUS

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.
K.K
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

SAVE MY DISCUS

Unread post by K.K »

there is a problem i am facing with my discus fishes.
I have set a 2x1x1 quarantine tank for them and there are around 15 2,5 inch discus in it for quarantine.
I am changing water every night, adding anti-chlorine, and in medication i am adding metrogyl 400 (2 tabs-50 liters) for the last 2 days.

but there is no scene of recovery, most of them are slow, dark and rubbing across the silicon tubes and air stone. 2-3 of them are stand still in corners and some are lying flat sometimes.

Any expert please resolve my issue,, I don't want my fishes to die. what to do?
this is very urgent.
:feedb :wait
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: SAVE MY DISCUS

Unread post by apuda2010 »

You have 15 discus in a tank which measures 2x1x1 ???? Is that correct ? Please note the following :

1. 2 pairs of discus need atleast 40 gallons of water. You have more than 7 pairs. You need a tank which is atleast 100 gallons.
2. Why are you adding metrogyl ? The fish are dark because they are scared. They are scared because there are simply too many of them in the tank.

All the fish will die if you do not take immediate steps to shift them to a larger tank. Also note that these fish require a properly cycled tank, simply changing water will not do.

Please read up as much as you can before buying discus. This fish is not an easy one to keep.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

apuda2010 wrote:You have 15 discus in a tank which measures 2x1x1 ???? Is that correct ? Please note the following :

1. 2 pairs of discus need atleast 40 gallons of water. You have more than 7 pairs. You need a tank which is atleast 100 gallons.
2. Why are you adding metrogyl ? The fish are dark because they are scared. They are scared because there are simply too many of them in the tank.

All the fish will die if you do not take immediate steps to shift them to a larger tank. Also note that these fish require a properly cycled tank, simply changing water will not do.

Please read up as much as you can before buying discus. This fish is not an easy one to keep.
:1

Please let us no following:
1. What is the size of main tank?
2. When have you setup this tank? If it is new you can put a filter from another running tank.
3. Temperature of quarantine tank?
4. When have you brought these discus?
5. Is there any visual symptoms of presence of any bacteria or white cotton like material?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by gauravgupta »

K.K wrote:there is a problem i am facing with my discus fishes.
I have set a 2x1x1 quarantine tank for them and there are around 15 2,5 inch discus in it for quarantine.
I am changing water every night, adding anti-chlorine, and in medication i am adding metrogyl 400 (2 tabs-50 liters) for the last 2 days.

but there is no scene of recovery, most of them are slow, dark and rubbing across the silicon tubes and air stone. 2-3 of them are stand still in corners and some are lying flat sometimes.

Any expert please resolve my issue,, I don't want my fishes to die. what to do?
this is very urgent.
:feedb :wait
2x1x1 tank is very small even for a single pair of Discus. Agreed with K.K. that Water changing is not only the solution. They need proper filtration, water temperature etc. They sometimes need hiding places as well. Please increase the size of your tank atleast 4 x 2 x 2 to have that much amount of Discus.
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!
Neeraj
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Neeraj »

kk please check you water parameter you might have hard water discuss prefer soft water.
raise the temperature for first two day for 30 and after two days 32.
do not add metrogyl
add 1 spoon of rock salt(sendha namak)
change water every day 25 %
it might help your discus to improve
Regards,
Neeraj
https://www.facebook.com/petduniya
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

Quarantine process of Discus:
When you bring a discus for your show tank then there is a high risk factor of introducing disease and parasites. In addition, your discus can be stressed due to transport and relocation from their previous set up. Hence, there is a higher chance of your discus to be affected by diseases or parasites present in the new environment. So you need a quarantine tank which protects your fish from disease and allow to regain optimum health before they are shifted your main tank. Here I describe my own method of how to process quarantine of discus…

Day 1: start the quarantine process with Potassium permanganate. Make a Potassium permanganate soln. you can use this solution until tank water turns into baby pink colour. Do not use filter during this process otherwise, your purpose will not be served. You can use heavy aeration during this time. Also you can raise temperature at 32 degree Celsius during this course. Most of the parasites will kill in that temperature.

Day2, 3, 4: Do 100% W/C on day 2. Make sure there is no PP water is left in your tank. Fill your aquarium with new fresh water. Now you have to use oxytetracycline tablet (5 capsules per 100 litre of water). Use heavy aeration also.

Day 5: continue the step that was followed on day 1.

Day 6, 7, 8: continue the step that was followed on day 2, 3, 4.

Day 9: continue the step that was followed on day 1.

Day 10, 11, 12: continue the step that was followed on day2, 3, 4.

Day 13, 14, 15: Do 100% W/C and use 4 Metrogyl tablets per 100 litre of water. Continue it for 3 days. (Start Deworming process)

Day 16, 17, 18: continue the step that was followed on day 13. Feed them with small quantity.

Day 19, 20, 21: continue the step that was followed on day13. Feed them normally.
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

apuda2010 wrote:You have 15 discus in a tank which measures 2x1x1 ???? Is that correct ? Please note the following :

oopsbig
he mentioned that he has 2.5 inch discus.also he is doing quarantine.so no need to worry for 2-1-1 size tank.also during any medication/quatrantine process movement of discus becomes very slow.
10 gallon rule is applied for mature discus only.not for juvenile discus.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Achintya wrote:

oopsbig
he mentioned that he has 2.5 inch discus.also he is doing quarantine.so no need to worry for 2-1-1 size tank.also during any medication/quatrantine process movement of discus becomes very slow.
10 gallon rule is applied for mature discus only.not for juvenile discus.
:1
Sushant
K.K
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by K.K »

thanks everybody for the revert, I was treating with metro because there were some white feces floating in my tank, i lost some fishes too. :roll:
some of them are rubbing on pipe and air stone, some are dark.
I should go with achintyas process, so what should i do achintya, do i start the process again immediately or give a one day break(gap).

i have a 4 feet tank equiped with external filter too, i am worried to transfer them all to that just because, it might take a big work to change water in a 55G tank.
I have a spare 2 feet tank also, should i transfer half of the fishes to that tank, and continue doing quarantine for both the tanks equally :feedb

Please let us no following:
1. What is the size of main tank? - i have 2tanks (2x1x1 feet) for discus
2. When have you setup this tank? If it is new you can put a filter from another running tank.- both are for quarantine purpose
3. Temperature of quarantine tank?- 30-31 celcius
4. When have you brought these discus?- 10 days back
5. Is there any visual symptoms of presence of any bacteria or white cotton like material?- yes white stringy pulp like floats

I think this is because of the water, it smells bad though i am changing 80% daily. also adding antichlorine.
Achintya I have PP but when I add it to the water, the water color gets brown, not pink as u said, what could be the reason. :feedb
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

@Achintya - I still feel 15 fish in that size of tank is way too much, even for a quarantine tank. When I had these kings in , I would never buy a large lot at one go. It would always be a pair at a time, regardless of size. This would help me during the quarantine process immensely.