need help! discus fin rot,?

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.
sathya.gtm
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

need help! discus fin rot,?

Unread post by sathya.gtm »

Hi. I have 6 discus fish in my 55G tank. .. 5 of them are about 4.5" and one is 2.5". I have had them for about a month now. All arw fine but for the smaller one. I noticed that a part of the fin has started rotting. I would say about 3-4 mm is lost at max. I have maintained the tank at about 31°c . Last week I reduced itr to 29-30°c n now I see the possible fin rot in the small one. I change 50% watwr every 4-5 days. Now I have isolated the smaller discus into a smaller tank. Added few drops of methylene blue. Please suggest what do I do! ! Should I use any antibiotic or just changing watwr everyday for the small tank suffice. ? ? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swapanbaruah
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: need help! discus fin rot,?

Unread post by swapanbaruah »

mythelene blue will not work,use rid all genera aid .use 5 ml of general aid per 5 liter of water(use a isolated tank about 25 liters)with 1 teaspoon of rock salt or sanda namak should be iodine free.maintain temperature about 28 -29 degree c.and repeat again after 2 days if required.
sathya.gtm
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sathya.gtm »

Thanks a lot. I have actually increased the temperature to 31°c to increase the metabolic rate of the fish. The fish is not eating tetra bits. Should I add few tetra 's so as to decrease the discus' anxiety ? And am ordering rid all general online now. Couldn't find here in bangalore. I searched in some 4 shops. Thanks again for ur time..!
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

If it is Columnaris then increased temp will be devastating for the fish ,,,,,, as bact propagation will b more at high temp,,,,, treat it with hostacycline ,,,,, even i feel u might have to nuke the whole tank