DIY- Simple hangon light for plantedtank

Post the details about DIY Projects.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

DIY- Simple hangon light for plantedtank

Unread post by saikumar »

Hello,

I was browsing through my drive and found these from 2010, just thought someone would benefit.
Most of it was made from leftovers and student budget material. Not aesthetic, but does the job.
Its for a 18-23W CFL sized bulb. Nowadays very few use CFL over tanks.

Material used, 2.5ft plastic electrical pipe
2 notepad clips
few screws
2 washers
an aluminum sheet
2 "L" bends
some binding metal wire/ tough thread to hold bulb and for hangers.

Sliding joint, to move light left or right... never stuck to one scape :D
DSC00432.JPG
Clips to fit on tank glass
DSC00430.JPG
Screwing the clip to pipe
DSC00431.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saikumar

Re: DIY- Simple hangon light for plantedtank

Unread post by saikumar »

Forum has feature of adding max 3 attachments new, so new post

How it looks like. Sorry donot have pics of it over my tank :|
DSC00427.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Good idea but it is looking that plastic clips are not too much strong
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

you are tooooo good. lovely work.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

good idea but one thing i have observed when i was using that type of clips for some other purpose is that the spring in them get rusted soon
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

That is a very good DIY, Sai. Practical and useful. Can we have a picture of the relector from underneath?

Ishaan has a good suggestion about the clip on spring, but i am sure even these plastic ones will last over a year, despite corrosion. In a Delhi mall i did see some clips that were entirely steel. ... they are available these days. You can also borrow some nail polish from a lady family member and coat the spring with it..
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Romi wrote:That is a very good DIY, Sai. Practical and useful. Can we have a picture of the relector from underneath?

Ishaan has a good suggestion about the clip on spring, but i am sure even these plastic ones will last over a year, despite corrosion. In a Delhi mall i did see some clips that were entirely steel. ... they are available these days. You can also borrow some nail polish from a lady family member and coat the spring with it..
i never gave any suggestion :cnf , i just told that the the metallic spring/ whatever is used in these clips get rusted soon
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

Nice one Sai bhai :)
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

ishaan wrote:
Romi wrote:That is a very good DIY, Sai. Practical and useful. Can we have a picture of the relector from underneath?

i never gave any suggestion :cnf , i just told that the the metallic spring/ whatever is used in these clips get rusted soon
I thought you were saying that not to point out a weakness in the design, but to point at the need for finding a remedy for corrosion. So I suggested a remedy that came to my mind, regarding it.

I stand corrected. You did NOT offer a solution, just a snarky niggle! :D
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Romi wrote:
ishaan wrote:

I thought you were saying that not to point out a weakness in the design, but to point at the need for finding a remedy for corrosion. So I suggested a remedy that came to my mind, regarding it.

I stand corrected. You did NOT offer a solution, just a snarky niggle! :D
i was just pointing out the weakness of design, i don't always have a new idea for such thing :nocom
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868