My CREE LED setup

Post the details about DIY Projects.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: My CREE LED setup

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Sai...looking at the fans, I guess these are 80mm. Horizontal placement is possibly the best as you get a good flow around the LEDs. However, remember India is dust country. The horizontal flow pattern puts a lot of dust around the electronics. In case you are not planning to put a splash guard, then I recommend that you go for vertical alignment. I first created the splash guard using 5mm acrylic but decided not to use it after all. My 2 120mm fans are in vertical alignment and I do not see the LEDs heating up too much.

Coolermaster is a good brand and will last you long. However, any CPU fan would have done. One thing though, have you checked the dB level of the fan ? At full speed (=12V) these things tend to get a bit too noisy.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Thanks a lot for your reply Joyce. Your point on dust is made me think.
My plan is actually to make a slim hood. So it's just at 4cm so need to think of the angle of fan then as its 80mm. I think I should have picked the 30mm may be.

Regarding the splash guard, its for sure I LL have. As I don't have any cover or lens on led.
for now seems sideways blow has better cooling and lesser dust too.

Regarding the dB its not mentioned. So can I use 6V to keep it silent?
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Lower the voltage, lower the rpm. Try 10V adapters to drive the fans,that should keep the noise down but yet give u good airflow.

30mm fans are of little use.