My DIY Canister Filter..

Post the details about DIY Projects.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: My DIY Canister Filter..

Unread post by shergill00 »

I have always read and heard from hobbyist about DIY Canister that they are not successful. Is it really so? The problem is with making it water tight thats what every one tells me. Maaz how long been you running this diy canister and would there be problem in cleaning it?

Also if anyone else has used diy canister here, please share your experience regarding it.
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by cichlids »

Nice one Maaz!!
For what size tank are you using it?
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I failed with my try.

But worth trying...next time if I try will use good quality air tight bottle.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

aquanick wrote:Nice initiative,

But maaz, have you tried this? A little concerned about the filtration capacity, as the inlet and outlet look to draw water from nearly the same place. Secondly, I think you should have used a better plastic container/pvc pipe than a parle plastic bottle, concerned about the long term sustainability..
But a great beginning..
Thanks Ashish

Filtration capacity I didn't check that but soon i am going to test it then update you all with this. Yes inlet and outlet from the same place But Inlet in top of the Canister and for outlet is in bottom of the Canister that so water flow down to the bottom then its goes pump out from the Canister. I made this for the experimental purpose but is work too good so i didn't thing about PVC pipe.. I was planing to make One big Filter with Big pump approx 5-7 liter of Canister Capacity. This one on 2.5 lt Canister Capacity.

This one is Just experimental work 666 in starting when i made this really i don't know whether it going to work or not but got success in this :dance and its work.

shergill00 wrote:I have always read and heard from hobbyist about DIY Canister that they are not successful. Is it really so? The problem is with making it water tight thats what every one tells me. Maaz how long been you running this diy canister and would there be problem in cleaning it?

Also if anyone else has used diy canister here, please share your experience regarding it.
Hey Shergill

I don't know about other but this one is working fine i am using this from past 1.5 - 2 months..In starting i face leak problem from the Cap Area after that i fill full MSeal there so no Leaking problem now..and at ever pipe Joint used PVC adhesive so no leak problem from there also.. I didn't clean it yet so i can answer about this problem...when i do it i update with pics also.
cichlids wrote:Nice one Maaz!!
For what size tank are you using it?
Thanks man

I am using this for my 2 feet planted tank..
Last edited by maaz on Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

parthapratim22 wrote:I failed with my try.

But worth trying...next time if I try will use good quality air tight bottle.
Thanks Partha Bhai

But i like your Canister Idea very much..

One Point i like to clear DO NOT MAKE HOLE in cap In side of Bottle use it..its create problem when we tight the cap and whole pressure and weight comes on cap...and use big bottle with approx 5-7 water liter capacity...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

I agree with Ashish. You've got some good plumbing material why compromise on filter body? You can get 5" PVC pipe with proper end caps for just 2-300rs more.
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

hamza wrote:I agree with Ashish. You've got some good plumbing material why compromise on filter body? You can get 5" PVC pipe with proper end caps for just 2-300rs more.
Hamza Bro next time i go for that...this is just experiment so i use this one...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

Great going, but i would agree with hamza to use the PVC pipe with cover rather than plastic bottle as the cap will snap off very easily.

Please do post the result of the filter