ID required: Lizard

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: ID required: Lizard

Unread post by Naufil »

Romi wrote:i have grown up watching them in the lush green backyards Army houses often have. To me they looked
almost snake-like in their ability to curve their bodies, graceful, lithe. Unlike the common house lizard tha stays rather blunt
and stiff. But i suspect they do not make easy pets, being easily spooked.
Until a few years ago my chief interest in lizards was in the Agamidae family, it is only recently that I have discovered the beauty and grace of the skinks. Among the lizards, skinks have the most complex social lives, some of them can also produce sounds (a rare trait among reptiles) and the skink we have in question here has been known, on rare occasions, to produce live young in captivity. I think that it would be wonderful if I can keep and observe such a tiny, yet complex creature and make it a part of my life. :adore
Romi wrote:I have always admired skinks. Over time, i have learnt, especially in David Attenbourough's programs, that skinks are among the most versatile reptile species known. There is even one species where males are unknown, like the Amazon Molly. .. Females have got rid of them entirely and manage happily without them, :mrgreen:
:thumup
The most beautiful reptile documentary ever made has to be the 'Life in Cold Blood' series. Once again David Attenbourough at his finest. I would like to share this particularly touching scene from the series, in which a skink heats her eggs using her own body temperature. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=9HF5v11nSa0
Romi wrote:if u want to keep them, Mr Knight, learn to breed crickets and mealworms. I can help u with even more such
foods. So that difficulty shouldn't hold u back.
Thats so nice of you...I would be glad to learn from you.Thankyou :)
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: ID required: Lizard

Unread post by Naufil »

I have actually kept these skinks several times before but had to eventually release them (within days) because it is a real pain in the ass to catch all the insects for them. Only once I was able to keep one for a period of a month or so.