ID required: Lizard

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

ID required: Lizard

Unread post by Naufil »

I know its a fish site and not exactly the right place to ID a lizard, but here it is.

I have been looking forward to keeping them, the little jewels they are, I hope they make good pets.
So, What exactly are these skinks called? I must have searched each and every possible name there could be for this little lizard, such as red tailed skink, indian dwarf skink, Common indian skink etc. etc. but to no avail.
If you have kept some before please share your experience with me and do provide the scientific name if you can.
Last edited by Naufil on Sun May 11, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: ID required: Lizard

Unread post by juanico »

hi

in my book "snakes and reptiles of india" there are two skinks which look similar to yours:
1. lygosoma punctata
2. lipinia macrotympana

maybe this helps
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

juanico wrote:there are two skinks which look similar to yours
They are skinks and easily available in India. You unable to got, let me know. I have seen many times in my school ground.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

these are very shy some time i try to catch them but every time they manage to escape....
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

juanico wrote:hi

in my book "snakes and reptiles of india" there are two skinks which look similar to yours:
1. lygosoma punctata
2. lipinia macrotympana

maybe this helps
I looked up the internet and this must be lygosoma punctata as far as I can figure.
Thank you, your information helped considerably. If there is anything else your book reveals about these beauties, please share it here with me.
SCORPIO wrote:They are skinks and easily available in India. You unable to got, let me know. I have seen many times in my school ground.
Have you ever managed to catch one?
maaz wrote:these are very shy some time i try to catch them but every time they manage to escape....
Try the method the dudes did in this vid :roll: :
http://youtu.be/V8eBeggG-SY
Last edited by Naufil on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Naufil wrote:Sir, Have you ever managed to catch one?
Ever I am not interested in skinks.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

Naufil wrote: Try the method the dudes did in this vid :roll: :
http://youtu.be/V8eBeggG-SY
hahahaha...especially at minute 3:47...

try to catch them in the very morning, they should be less active than later in a day.
as skinks live at the ground, in rock cracks, etc. you could check under rocks, dead wood and stuff and look for sleeping/hiding skinks there
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

juanico wrote:hahahaha...especially at minute 3:47...
:roll :roll :roll
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

i have grown up watching them in the lush green backyards Army houses often have. To me they looked almost snake-like in their ability to curve their bodies, graceful, lithe. Unlike the common house lizard tha stays rather blunt and stiff. But i suspect they do not make easy pets, being easily spooked.

I have always admired skinks. Over time, i have learnt, especially in David Attenbourough's programs, that skinks are among the most versatile reptile species known. There is even one species where males are unknown, like the Amazon Molly. .. Females have got rid of them entirely and manage happily without them, :mrgreen:

if u want to keep them, Mr Knight, learn to breed crickets and mealworms. I can help u with even more such foods. So that difficulty shouldn't hold u back.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

see to see them at my ancestral house. i guess its called "Lotani" in local language (in Bihar) and as a child we were told that by touching its tail with little finger can fetch us some money :roll :roll :roll
Sushant