Cactus/cactuses/cacti Vishaal Dalal

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Cactus/cactuses/cacti Vishaal Dalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Arjun Tandon wrote:Wow! those cacti are splendid Vishaal!!!
At first I was thinking that why is Romi pushing you so much for the pics but now I feel like pushing you down from your balcony for hiding all those magnificent creations of nature from us. Despite being a keen observer and gazing hard at every wild plant on trips, I have never seen many of the cacti you have.
They are splendid in all sorts or shapes sizes and colors!

But I still remember a cactus, very tall and striped, and dark green and plump, very splendid. I saw it an year ago when we were going to Patnitop on the hills. And it had those large yellow blooms shining in sunlight, falling through the nearby trees! Since then, I've been waiting for the day when I'll see a cactus of the same kind again
Thanks Arjun,

though some misconceptions need to be cleared.
1. They are not native (indigenous) to India barring a few epiphytes.
2. the wild one seen by you would be a Euphorbia which are common in the hills but the blooms would be wrong

Now I need to see those blooms or the plant. when are you next going to patnitop.
VishaalDalal

Romi wrote:Vishaal Romi Dalaal will now share with us Fish and Plant Wallahs some pics of his beautiful cactus plants that he has on sale...

:clp
Beauty apart people I need to sell these as My balcony is not the best place for them as I dont even get 3 hours of sunlight in the summers.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

VishaalDalal wrote:
Romi wrote:Vishaal Romi Dalaal will now share with us Fish and Plant Wallahs some pics of his beautiful cactus plants that he has on sale...

:clp
Beauty apart people I need to sell these as My balcony is not the best place for them as I dont even get 3 hours of sunlight in the summers.
i will try to get 1-2 of them when i visit delhi next time, you made me interested in these spiky plants whis
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

one started flowering here too

regards,
NEIL
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

slow growing one is this among my collection

regards,
NEIL
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE
VishaalDalal

Neil there seems to be too much water and organic matter,

cacti dont like wet feet, the best proportion of soil mix is as hereunder.

1. Leaf mould 20%
2. coarse sand or gravel 2-5mm with higher amount of 2mm 60 %
3. Bone meal 5%
3. Garden soil balance 15%

water only when you are sure that the soil has dried completely. here in Gurgaon where it is very hot and dry I water once a week in the summers, no watering in the rainy season and once every 2-3 weeks in winters only if there is marked shrinkage otherwise I dont water when the night time temp goes below 15 degrees.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

VishaalDalal wrote:Neil there seems to be too much water and organic matter,

1. Leaf mould 20%
3. Bone meal 5%

water only when you are sure that the soil has dried completely. here in Gurgaon where it is very hot and dry I water once a week in the summers, no watering in the rainy season and once every 2-3 weeks in winters only if there is marked shrinkage otherwise I dont water when the night time temp goes below 15 degrees.
Where to find the sand? I can find only Badarpur, which is just slag. And leaf mould is also availble in your chosen nursery?
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

:clp[/quote]

i will try to get 1-2 of them when i visit delhi next time, you made me interested in these spiky plants whis[/quote]

@ Ishaan you don't need to wait for your Delhi trip, you can get cactus from Government Nursery in Sector 23 in Chandigarh and also from Cactus garden in Panchkula. Panchkula garden has good collection and they have decent list to choose from.
VishaalDalal

Romi wrote:
VishaalDalal wrote:Neil there seems to be too much water and organic matter,

1. Leaf mould 20%
3. Bone meal 5%

Where to find the sand? I can find only Badarpur, which is just slag. And leaf mould is also availble in your chosen nursery?
for sand get the red sand from the aravalies and wash to remove the clay leaf mould go to any old heap of leaves in a garden and collect the lowermost decayed ones
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

shergill00 wrote::clp

i will try to get 1-2 of them when i visit delhi next time, you made me interested in these spiky plants whis

@ Ishaan you don't need to wait for your Delhi trip, you can get cactus from Government Nursery in Sector 23 in Chandigarh and also from Cactus garden in Panchkula. Panchkula garden has good collection and they have decent list to choose from.
i can't visit chandigarh :(
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868