Asian Palm Civet Cat aka Kabar Bijoo

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
jackdanio
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Asian Palm Civet Cat aka Kabar Bijoo

Unread post by jackdanio »

SAM_0057.JPG
I found this seldom seen kitten a couple of days ago. The watchman told me that it was a Kabar Bijjoo which digs graves to eat the contents. He was not very sure of what is to be done with it. Since he/she ( I have not yet been able to tell for sure) would have died if not cared for, I decided to take the kitten and then started my search for the Kabar Bijjoo!
Although I was aware of the Civet Cat and had seen some dead ones earlier and one live cat a few years ago, I was not too sure of its diet or habits.
SAM_0042.JPG
Learnt its exact name. Learnt about its food habits and am now feeding it Milk with a syringe,Lactogen, Mashed Banana which it seems to particularly relish, Jamun juice.
SAM_0092.JPG
Already survived 48 hours with me. Hopefully it should pull thruogh. Planning to release it in the wild where it belongs once it is able to take care.
Anybody with suggestions/experience?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Asian Palm Civet Cat aka Kabar Bijoo

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Hope it will survive with new parents.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

I really admire the way u took care of this newborn ....... i'll suggest to keep it and not to release it in wild as once acclimatized to human it might not be able to hunt and stay alive in wild ,,,,also due to it's prior connection with human it might again try to reach out to other human who might not welcome him/her.........keep her as ur pet..... i know it might b a wild soul but still it's better to have him alive in captivity than releasing in wild to die...... best of luck and do keep us updated....
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

Its good that you saved it, it could have died in wild.

BUT its illegal to posses any wild animal under wildlife protection act for any reason. So be sure you read the wildlife protection act or inform the authorities before you make your mind keeping it. There is always an option of returning it back to some forest officials who can seriously look after it till its capable of fending itself in wild.

And Civets are not cats, BTW.

In special cases maybe, maybe(if you have links), even though its highly unlikely.. if you can get the permission from the authorities to keep it, in that case enjoy your kopi luwak!
devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by devchitra »

it is good to saving a wild animal.
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

great effort to save this poor creature.
jackdanio
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jackdanio »

Thanx Rajeevji, Pinaki, Hamza, Devchitra and Pintoo.
With your good wishes, Alex is doing well. Thats what my children have named Him/her. I still am not sure.
I had visited Nagpur Zoo a couple of days ago and saw two Palm civets there. Contacted the caretaker to learn more about this creature.
He had nothing additional to add to all that I had learnt. He however did not mention anything about the legality of keeping such animals as pets!
Alex in the meantime is doing well and enjoying milk and fruits.
SAM_0069.JPG
And Hamza, your input about them not being cats was bang on. I somehow remembered reading this somewhere and since the looks are also quite similar I assumed them to be of the cat family. My dogs are uncontrollable when there is any cat around. In fact the very mention of the word catty is sufficient to send them into a barking and chasing spree. I checked their reaction to Alex and it was more of a curious inquiry than the aggressive one which I expected.
WP_20140711_01220140711082537.jpg
Of course the little one is still probably looking for its mother and hence is now walking all over the place if left out of the cage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I thought it is illegal to keep as it is an wild animal. But go ahead and save his/her life.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

how did I miss this! Its sooo cute!
And you keep calling it a cat. Civets are only called cats because to some they look like it. They are more closely related to mongooses and ferrets than to cats.
They way you are taking care of it I actually will encourage you to keep it for life. But do keep in mind that once it will grow up, it will want to be around its own kind and possibly want to mate and have its own brood because Civets are highly social animals. Depending on where you live, you might want to contact 'Wildlife SoS' for further assistance
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Naufil wrote:how did I miss this! Its sooo cute!
And you keep calling it a cat. Civets are only called cats because to some they look like it. They are more closely related to mongooses and ferrets than to cats.
They way you are taking care of it I actually will encourage you to keep it for life. But do keep in mind that once it will grow up, it will want to be around its own kind and possibly want to mate and have its own brood because Civets are highly social animals. Depending on where you live, you might want to contact 'Wildlife SoS' for further assistance

I am amazed to see this thread too and must have missed it when I was having a tough time family-wise. I think I can understand why JAckDAnio cannot help calling it a cat, it resembles a feline in many ways. ... I think since he has done such a fine job of saving it and nurturing it (when it could have perished if left alone as he tells us), he can call it whatever it pleases his kind heart to do so :thumup

I commend this effort, that civet is lucky. I also agree that the wildlife department takes a strong view of wild animals being kept as pets, but we all know that they do this to prevent the indescribable cruelty poachers, shameless sellers, and stupid buyers impose on wild birds and animals in this country...

So I would strongly urge Jack to be careful the local officials do not use it as an excuse to harass him. And if it is possible, he should consider the ultimate rehabilitation of the civet in the wild. I think if this process is monitored carefully, he can give the animal the second most precious gift after life (which I think he already gave the civet :) ), the gift of freedom.

This is because it is not a domesticated animal but a rescued wild one. If cheetahs and Tigers can be rehabilitated when rescued as cubs, why not civets?

Thank you for sharing, JackDanio.

And last but not least, how utterly cute it is.