Questions About Pet Rats

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Questions About Pet Rats

Unread post by Naufil »

I visited a friend of mine after a long time and was surprised to see that he has kept 2 pet rats, white ones with red eyes. Initially I was a bit afraid of them but I realised that they were quite friendly and even climbed on my shoulders. They were also cute, in an unconventional way. Now that I have discovered them I want one or two rats for myself. Before that, I have some ques. regarding this variety of white rat we have in India. Is it Norwegian Rat or is it an albino variety of Indian house rat? Tell me if you know.

Also outside India where people keep pet rats they have been bred in captivity for generations, hence almost negligible chance of catching a disease from them. What about the Indian pet rats? My friend said that he had bought them someone who supplies rats to labs. After hearing that I am not too sure if that person will be keeping the rats in optimum condition (because for him rats = money). There might be a slight chance of catching a disease from them. So what I am saying is that I am not too confident about the source, if anyone else knows a better place to buy them, let me know?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions About Pet Rats

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I kept white rats for around 2 years. Their behave is very friendly. You can buy white rats from Jama Maszid.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Naufil, I think Wikipedia could tell you a lot about the species of rat commonly sold for labs and use as a pet. From what I can recall, they make excellent pets, being far cleaner and more affectionate than most similar pets, and many times more than mice (The latter are dirty, aggressive, and hard to keep clean, therefore a real source of disease in the long run).

I have met autodrivers and teen agers who kept rats, and all commended them highly. I agree inbreeding is an issue, but no more in rats than in pigeons, pedigreed dogs, or cattle.

Once you buy them, you can always deworm them like you can do for parrots, dogs, cats etc.

I also remember being informed that if pet rats are kept in a house, real rats stay away and so do mice. how this can be true, and the logic behind it (territoriality conventions followed by mice and rats?) I don't know since I haven't got a chance to this day to check... I might do so one day, good nature is a far better quality in a pet than interesting colour or form especially if you are a long-time keeper fo a pet like I am and don't like chopping and changing and discarding living things like many people today (hence my dislike for most large cichlids)..

Rats are gregarious and friendly creatures for sure. All animals that live in large families are usually well behaved and friendly. This is because living in a group (as a social being) teaches the natural scoundrels in a population the value of good behavior eventually ;) There is a process of selection in them that selects for good qualities..
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

SCORPIO wrote:I kept white rats for around 2 years. Their behave is very friendly. You can buy white rats from Jama Maszid.
Thank you for replying Rajiv ji :) Which area of Jama Masjid? I have only been to Chandni Chowk, once or twice.
Romi wrote:....From what I can recall, they make excellent pets, being far cleaner and more affectionate than most similar pets, and many times more than mice (The latter are dirty, aggressive, and hard to keep clean, therefore a real source of disease in the long run)....-snip
Thanks, wikipedia can give info but not personal counsel, wonderful anecdotes like yours that I prefer over raw data. Thanks again :)
Since a long time, I have been keeping fish and long for a pet whom I can touch and cuddle with. A fluffy fur ball is what I was looking for.
Dogs and cats being out of the question because of their size and my parents objections, I have long since set my eyes on rodents. Rabbit were the
initial choice but they make rather dull pets when one has been used to observing the complex social behavior and mating rituals of African Cichlids.
Rats never crossed my mind for no apparent reason, until a few days back. Ever since then I have watching videos of trained rats (pets and circus performers)
and did some reading about rat intelligence and I can't help myself from being fascinated by these creatures. They are almost tiny versions of dogs.
For me it will be the next best thing instead of a real dog.

My major concern was that the rats which are offered here are rats at all or albino mice. Second was the disease part. Both of which have been eliminated by your indulgent response. Thanks

takeca
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Naufil wrote:Thank you for replying Rajiv ji Which area of Jama Masjid? I have only been to Chandni Chowk, once or twice.
Visit any Sunday at there. In left corner of Chandini Chowk, there is Jain Temple (Lal Mandir). Walk along the road side in South. After around 100 meter, you will find peagons, rabbits, birds and rats for sale. Bargaining skills are must.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda