Need suggestions to setup a nano marine.

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need suggestions to setup a nano marine.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

After one year break, again want to start a marine tank. Need suggestions:

Tank Size: 45 X 30 X 30 cm

Light: LED At present it have 3 watt X 10 LEDs. How many blue LEDs should It need?

Filter: HOB 250 litre per hour.

Already I have MMLR, Red Sea Coral pro salt, Hydrometer etc.

I want to keep some anemones or soft corals which are legal to keep in India. To keep away the cycling period, I will get used sand and water from another hobbyist.

Q.1: At present tank have 3 watt X 10 = 20 watt light. How much Blue LEDs need in present setup? Should I also need Red LEDs?

Q.2: Should I also need a protein skimmer in a 10 gallon tank? If yes, which protein skimmer will be enough for this tank. I will change water once a week.

Q.3: There will be just a pair of clown fishes. Any other fish for this small tank?

Q.4: Can I also keep Nerite snails in this setup. Already I have four of them and I want to increase there population.

Any other suggestions are also most welcome.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Need suggestions to setup a nano marine.

Unread post by Ashok »

SCORPIO wrote:After one year break, again want to start a marine tank. Need suggestions:

Tank Size: 45 X 30 X 30 cm

Light: LED At present it have 3 watt X 10 LEDs. How many blue LEDs should It need?

Filter: HOB 250 litre per hour.

Already I have MMLR, Red Sea Coral pro salt, Hydrometer etc.

I want to keep some anemones or soft corals which are legal to keep in India. To keep away the cycling period, I will get used sand and water from another hobbyist.

Q.1: At present tank have 3 watt X 10 = 20 watt light. How much Blue LEDs need in present setup? Should I also need Red LEDs?

You need atleast 14x3W led out of which 8 Royal blue and 6 cool white no need of red one.

Q.2: Should I also need a protein skimmer in a 10 gallon tank? If yes, which protein skimmer will be enough for this tank. I will change water once a week.

No need of a protien skimmer if you can change 20% water every week, i will suggest 10-15% twice in a week.

Q.3: There will be just a pair of clown fishes. Any other fish for this small tank?

You can add 1-2 Gobby or any other small fish but don't try to over load the system.

Q.4: Can I also keep Nerite snails in this setup. Already I have four of them and I want to increase there population.

Four is enough.

Any other suggestions are also most welcome.
There is no use of HOB you have to arrange a small wave maker or p/head. Scorpio if you want to run this system for long and hassle free you have to have a chiller.
Ashok
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Temperature is not a problem for me. At present temperature in all of my tanks is around 25-26 degree celcius.

1. What if I install a Hang on Tank skimmer? Will it helpful or not?

2. Can I keep a single Mandrin in such a small tank?

3. Which anemones or soft corals may I keep in this tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

SCORPIO wrote:Temperature is not a problem for me. At present temperature in all of my tanks is around 25-26 degree celcius.

1. What if I install a Hang on Tank skimmer? Will it helpful or not?

Protien skimmer is always helpful.

2. Can I keep a single Mandrin in such a small tank?

No, Mandarin fish need a lot of live food if you want to keep anyways you have to instal a refusium sump for more live food to populate.

3. Which anemones or soft corals may I keep in this tank.[/b][/color]
Bubble tip anemone is best, corals, i will suggest to keep variety of zoanthids and mushrooms
Ashok
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

SCORPIO wrote:Temperature is not a problem for me. At present temperature in all of my tanks is around 25-26 degree celcius.
I believe you use fans placed on top of your aquarium to maintain that temp, its works well in a freshwater system but in a marine tank it wont, because it would lead to dangerous fluctuating salinity levels as only water will evaporate and not salts.
As rightly mentioned by Ashokji
Ashok wrote:Scorpio if you want to run this system for long and hassle free you have to have a chiller.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Thanks Guys.

Actually I am not intrested in Chillers. Most of my tanks are just for 6-8 months. After that I get bored and want something new. Although I am also not happy my this habbit. But when something new comes in my mind, I could not resist to start that thing. I know this will also not a long term project for me but now it is knocking my mind.

gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by gauravgupta »

Even right now I am having Nano Marine tank, with bubble tip and Clown fish. Its working fine with Hang on Back skimmer. I need coral for that and please help me in getting it.

For temperature I am using Fan which maintains 26 degree.
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:Thanks Guys.

Actually I am not intrested in Chillers. Most of my tanks are just for 6-8 months. After that I get bored and want something new. Although I am also not happy my this habbit. But when something new comes in my mind, I could not resist to start that thing. I know this will also not a long term project for me but now it is knocking my mind.
What do you do with the fish/anemone/coral when your mood changes after 6-8 months?

If you do not want to buy a chiller, and keep using the fans, and the water keeps evaporating, and the salts keep getting left behind/accumulating as pointed out by Vijendra, how will you save the Clown Fish you want to keep? Do you have a different idea on it?
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

chiller is must to run a marine tank for long term.

hob skimmer is helpful in maintaining water quality.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:What do you do with the fish/anemone/coral when your mood changes after 6-8 months?
Given to a friend. But last manth, he lost anemone.
Romi wrote:If you do not want to buy a chiller, and keep using the fans, and the water keeps evaporating, and the salts keep getting left behind/accumulating as pointed out by Vijendra, how will you save the Clown Fish you want to keep? Do you have a different idea on it?
During summers, I daily levels water in all of the tanks. So never faced any problem in marine or freshwater.
gauravgupta wrote:Even right now I am having Nano Marine tank, with bubble tip and Clown fish. Its working fine with Hang on Back skimmer. I need coral for that and please help me in getting it.

For temperature I am using Fan which maintains 26 degree.
Add only soft corals, will try to help you.
devchitra wrote:chiller is must to run a marine tank for long term.

hob skimmer is helpful in maintaining water quality.
I will install only fans in hood.