Daphnia

Discuss on feeding habits and requirements of various marine creatures.
aamir
Experts
Experts

Daphnia

Unread post by aamir »

Just want to know how many hobbyist from delhi &ncr are interested in keeping daphnia great live food also known as freshwater artimia.
Romi be ready to come again all the way too my house 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fb....(aamir.khan.180072@facebook.com)
New number 9560682201
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Daphnia

Unread post by juanico »

i cought many last week in a lake, try to breed them. but have to "breed" greenwater first.
do you breed them?
aamir
Experts
Experts

Unread post by aamir »

juanico wrote:i cought many last week in a lake, try to breed them. but have to "breed" greenwater first.
do you breed them?
No wojtek i don't breed them cause it is easier for me to collect some from near by place but tried to culture them once and failed after some time because of lack of info and experience.But this time i again i will try to culture them cause it is getting difficult to find them all because of pollution .going to use two methods one with green water collected from the collection spot itself.And second is yeast solution which is used to feed fairy shrimps yet too be tryed.
Some added info;
source wiki;
Several Daphnia species are considered threatened. The following are listed as vulnerable by IUCN: Daphnia nivalis, Daphnia coronata, Daphnia occidentalis, and Daphnia jollyi. Some species are halophiles, and can be found in hypersaline lake environments, an example of which is the Makgadikgadi Pan.[4]
Daphnia may sometimes ingest tiny crustaceans and rotifers, but usually they are filter feeders, ingesting mainly unicellular algae and various sorts of organic detritus including protists and bacteria. They can gather detritus not only from water column, but also from the bottom of lakes (especially in winter) or laboratory enclosures. Daphnia can be kept easily on a diet of yeast, but this occurs mostly in laboratories or controlled environments. Beating of the legs produces a constant current through the carapace which brings such material into the digestive tract. The trapped food particles are formed into a food bolus which then moves down the digestive tract until voided through the anus located on the ventral surface of the terminal appendage. The first and second pair of legs are used in the organisms' filter feeding ensuring large un-absorbable particles are kept out while the other sets of legs create the stream of water rushing into the organism.
New number 9560682201
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

aamir wrote:going to use two methods one with green water collected from the collection spot itself.And second is yeast solution which is used to feed fairy shrimps yet too be tryed.
which yeast do you use? i am trying "Solar - Dry active yeast", but its difficult, since this yeast does not resolve in water...so how can the daphnia filter it out of the water?
is there fresh yeast available somewhere (soft yeast)?

anyway i consider greenwater as the food of more value for them, since yeast does not provide any protein, vitamins, etc. to the daphnia.
but thats only my assumption.
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Wojtek Fresh Yeast you can get this at any bakery in your area...now day every Bakery having these kind of fresh yeast..if you take whole brick of 500 gm it will be around 70 -80 Rs..if you need those tell me know i have that one..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

maaz wrote:Wojtek Fresh Yeast you can get this at any bakery in your area...now day every Bakery having these kind of fresh yeast..if you take whole brick of 500 gm it will be around 70 -80 Rs..if you need those tell me know i have that one..
ok, thanks. will try
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

if you didnt get Yeast then let me know i will send you some..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
aamir
Experts
Experts

Unread post by aamir »

Daphnia and Mosquito larvae available again !!! :dance
in bulk
New number 9560682201
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

aamir wrote:Daphnia and Mosquito larvae available again !!! :dance
in bulk
I need...have plenty of green water. I can devote a 50 gallon tank of green water for them. Aamir pleaseeeee
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Wojtek the best yeast will be kotharis. If u need any further details for the yeast u can pm me
Regards
Kuldip