Need suggestion to keep animals in paludarium.

Forum for discuss suitable animals for Immersed setup/Paludarium/Terrarium/Vivarium etc.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need suggestion to keep animals in paludarium.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am in the way to setting up a 26 X 17 X 24 inch closed paludarium. I want to keep some invertibrates in land area of paludarium. The animal should accept flake food. Please suggest some easily available small invertibrates for this paludarium.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
navneethtk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Need suggestion to keep animals in paludarium.

Unread post by navneethtk »

Newts? I donno about their requirements but it might suit nor vampire crabs.

Also saw in andrew's list he's hot several crabs. Check it out.

Sent from my Panasonic P11
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

navneethtk wrote:Newts? I donno about their requirements but it might suit nor vampire crabs.

Also saw in andrew's list he's hot several crabs. Check it out.

Sent from my Panasonic P11
I want to keep some vampire crabs. All the lizards are fear factor for me.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Abhishek kept some vamp crabs along with Vijendra who bred them in captivity...... i am just searching for those threads....their expert advise will be helpful.........I think crab will take prawn readily if they are not pallet trained
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

pinaki_pal wrote:Abhishek kept some vamp crabs along with Vijendra who bred them in captivity...... i am just searching for those threads....their expert advise will be helpful.........I think crab will take prawn readily if they are not pallet trained
They accepts flake foods easily.

vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

SCORPIO wrote:I want to keep some vampire crabs.
A few important points to consider if you are planning to keep vampire crabs
1. High humidity – You will have to keep the humidity level really high, above 80-85% (use mist makers, which are easily available online)
2. Temp – Keep the temp around 22-23 (Had to shift both parents and the babies to Pune as it was really getting difficult to keep them in Delhi summers, even lost a couple of them to this dreadful Delhi heat)
3. Cover the tank – These little buggers will even escape if there is even half an inch of space to do so. They are capable of even climbing wires (of the mist maker or heater) that you will install in the tank. Some would even manage to climb the silicon on the corners of the tank.
4. Feed live – they will not thrive on just flake food, you have to feed them tiny critters (especially crickets – their favourite food) if you want to keep them for long. They need a high protein diet and if their protein requirements are not met then they might turn on each other.
5. Don’t mix them – Different colors mean different species and they are not compatible at all. So never mix two or more species together, keep just one.
6. More of a land then water – They live mostly on the land area and will need a tiny place with access to fresh clean water
7. Porus soil – they like to burry and would need moist soil, free of any pesticides or fertilizers
8. Most important point – You will have to make the setup according to their requirements and not keep them in a good looking paludarium
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

vijendra_s123 wrote:1. High humidity – You will have to keep the humidity level really high, above 80-85% (use mist makers, which are easily available online)
There will be no problem of humidity. Rain + Mist both will be there.

vijendra_s123 wrote:2. Temp – Keep the temp around 22-23 (Had to shift both parents and the babies to Pune as it was really getting difficult to keep them in Delhi summers, even lost a couple of them to this dreadful Delhi heat)
Are they able to tolerate around 25 degree celcius? I am also planning some Lady Bugs and other colorful insects in this paludarium.

vijendra_s123 wrote:3. Cover the tank – These little buggers will even escape if there is even half an inch of space to do so. They are capable of even climbing wires (of the mist maker or heater) that you will install in the tank. Some would even manage to climb the silicon on the corners of the tank.
Tank is fully covered. There will be only some holes around 4-5 mm diameter.

vijendra_s123 wrote:4. Feed live – they will not thrive on just flake food, you have to feed them tiny critters (especially crickets – their favourite food) if you want to keep them for long.
Live feed is almost impossible. Although I will try to feed high quality foods.

vijendra_s123 wrote:5. Don’t mix them – Different colors mean different species and they are not compatible at all. So never mix two or more species together, keep just one.
Noted this point.

vijendra_s123 wrote:6. More of a land then water – They live mostly on the land area and will need a tiny place with access to fresh clean water
There will be only 7 inch of water. Tank height is 24 inch. I will use only RO water.
vijendra_s123 wrote:7. Porus soil – they like to burry and would need moist soil, free of any pesticides or fertilizers
I am planning a layer of cocopeat in some areas.
vijendra_s123 wrote:8. Most important point – You will have to make the setup according to their requirements and not keep them in a good looking paludarium

I will try.

vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

SCORPIO wrote: Are they able to tolerate around 25 degree celcius? I am also planning some Lady Bugs and other colorful insects in this paludarium
For a while it is fine, but in the long term it might be a problem
SCORPIO wrote: Live feed is almost impossible. Although I will try to feed high quality foods.
This is the most important point, you cannot ignore it. For their protein requirements they are even capable of killing each other. Flake food is just a short term solution. Small live insects are a must if you want them to thrive
Also they need some calcium in their diet, see if you can get crab cusine.
SCORPIO wrote:There will be only 7 inch of water. Tank height is 24 inch. I will use only RO water.
Use normal tap water as they would need certain degree of kH to molt
SCORPIO wrote:I am planning a layer of cocopeat in some areas
The males will mark their own territory and defend it so sprinkling coco peat in some areas wont work

That’s why I am saying ‘You will have to make the setup according to their requirements and not keep them in a good looking paludarium’
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

you can even consider keeping newts and salamenders.
Sushant
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

newts will be good choice. you can also keep small cray fishes.