Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'

Forum for discuss suitable Plants for Immersed setup/Paludarium/Terrarium/Vivarium etc.
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

The Plant HC had been considered as one of the challenging plants to grow.
This is the first time I have attempted the plant, and have received positive results till now.
There are few parameter's that had to be followed, to get the desired results.
Anyway hope that the end result is as sweet as the start, so keeping my finger crossed.
Wanted to share the weekly growth of the plant.It will be updated as the days progresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'

Unread post by SCORPIO »

One of the best foreground plant. Needs lots of attention and nutrients in starting but after setting up, it grows very well.

I watching the growth journal..
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
vikramdutta11
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikramdutta11 »

Tried once like idiot, knowing nothing and failed severely. Yeh to hona hi tha.
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

SCORPIO wrote:One of the best foreground plant. Needs lots of attention and nutrients in starting but after setting up, it grows very well.

I watching the growth journal..
thnk
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

vikramdutta11 wrote:Tried once like idiot, knowing nothing and failed severely. Yeh to hona hi tha.
Till now it looks very easy, and growing nicely.Few things are very essential to grow it.
Somen
vikramdutta11
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Somen wrote:
vikramdutta11 wrote:Tried once like idiot, knowing nothing and failed severely. Yeh to hona hi tha.
Till now it looks very easy, and growing nicely.Few things are very essential to grow it.
will u please elaborate it?
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

vikramdutta11 wrote:
Somen wrote:
will u please elaborate it?
Though I am not an expert, still I will try to list out the things which should be followed.(Experts can give there feedback if feel necessary).

Firstly I want to say that I preferred the DSM method(You can google, the same)

The reason is that it is easy to plant, and the plant does not float, as in the case of immediate filling with water.
You can go for a minimum of 3 weeks DSM to 5 weeks DSM or further.
The plants should be sprayed with water (Preferably from a RO Unit if the water is hard in your locality), and should be kept moist.
To keep it moist you can cover the top with a Cling wrap.
Try to plant it in places,where it is not shaded by other plants.
Plants few chunk of the plant with a tweezer at regular intervals , and plant it in the form of FIVE in a dice.
The substrate should be fine and have a rich nutrients content.Since the root structure of the plant is very delicate and fine, it gets good hold if the substrate is fine.
Moist the tank only to that extent, so that the water does not submerge the plant, and it does not give a muddy look.It will cause algae if there is too much water around.Open the cling sheet for 10-15 minutes everyday, for good air exchange in your tank.
Good lights are a must for growing it successfully.The photo period can be around 7-8 hrs.Please make sure that the lights are not too high to let it burn.Roughly around 3 watt per gallon(Though this is an obsolete theory now)
If the DSM process works successfully,and you plan to fill the tank with water.
The things to follow are:
Good filtration is given and if needed a power head can be added to give a nice flow of water all around.
It requires a good amount of Co2, so don't hesitate to give the plant it loves.
It grows well in soft water(So try to use the same.You can use RO water and tap water in a proportionate ratio)
It requires a cool water, so keep the water temperature within a specified range.
Again the photo period can be around 7/8 hrs,and can be adjusted as per the plants condition.

These are the few things I have followed, and if there is any point I have missed or experts differ.He can give his advice accordingly.
Last edited by Somen on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Somen
vikramdutta11
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I told you i was an idiot, I did not follow the DSM and the temp was too high also.
I'll try it again. lets see what happens.
devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by devchitra »

Very tough to grow. Hope it will grow perfectly.