Failure or little success??!!

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Failure or little success??!!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Hey All,

As most of you know my love towards the inverts side, this time decided to do something out of the box and decided to have pure line crystal red and pure line crystal black of mine.

Planning -

Procured very small around 10-20 days old CBS babies so that they dont hold any kind of sperm inside them and started taking care of them in a 1.25cubic feet tank with a sponge filter.
And water change was 20-25% per week, and only CBS was in the tank.

After 2 months noticed one of the female was carrying eggs but she dropped her eggs after 4-5 days, I could attribute it due to improper inspermination. After 15-20 days she carried eggs again and I had a higher hope that this time she will deliver and I will have black babies only.

She have given birth to a cute little batch of babies, but doing a random check on the color of the babies found out that 80% of them are black, whereas rest 20% are red :oops:

This percentage is certainly higher than what we get in keeping CRS/CBS together, but still I failed!!!

So as an action plan decided -
Will remove the red babies to the crs tank and also when the juveniles will grow a little bit up will remove the adults also and will do the experimentation again with the fresh babies.

What you all feel/suggest??
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Failure or little success??!!

Unread post by zico_aqua »

brother consider it this way! most of us in this forum would think twice before getting hands on CRS/CBS alike, so getting a 80% headcount is pretty much a major success IMO! since you are now planning on selective breeding why not go ahead with that an' see what that reaps out! it's a good first step, perhaps because of people like you, people like us can get good breed shrimps in India, and not get honked of our money by LFS who get em' by stroke of luck which are in general of poor quality! best of luck I personally would say, an' since I stay a stone throw from you, I would love to help out if need be from my end.
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Abhishek wrote:Hey All,

As most of you know my love towards the inverts side, this time decided to do something out of the box and decided to have pure line crystal red and pure line crystal black of mine.

Planning -

Procured very small around 10-20 days old CBS babies so that they dont hold any kind of sperm inside them and started taking care of them in a 1.25cubic feet tank with a sponge filter.
And water change was 20-25% per week, and only CBS was in the tank.

After 2 months noticed one of the female was carrying eggs but she dropped her eggs after 4-5 days, I could attribute it due to improper inspermination. After 15-20 days she carried eggs again and I had a higher hope that this time she will deliver and I will have black babies only.

She have given birth to a cute little batch of babies, but doing a random check on the color of the babies found out that 80% of them are black, whereas rest 20% are red :oops:

This percentage is certainly higher than what we get in keeping CRS/CBS together, but still I failed!!!

So as an action plan decided -
Will remove the red babies to the crs tank and also when the juveniles will grow a little bit up will remove the adults also and will do the experimentation again with the fresh babies.

What you all feel/suggest??
All this sounds like the chapter in Genetics. now back cross the new babies with there parents and see what happens.
Sushant
Abhishek

Thanks a ton Abhro, for the encouraging words :)
I know you will be always a helping hand :)

Well had word with some of the expert breeders and they suggested to continue the breeding as it is and introduce some crs/cbs from other source/gene after 2 generation of babies which will ensure that the line will not get weak :)
And from the colony select the best looking ones and start breeding them once I have a colony of 50+ :)

So as action plan thinking of keeping their breeding in place, where red babies will go to crs tank and black babies to cbs tank and after6 months will order some higher grade shrimps to improve the line :D
Abhishek

sushant wrote:
All this sounds like the chapter in Genetics. now back cross the new babies with there parents and see what happens.
Ha ha ha thanks for the compliment and suggestion Sushant bhai :)

Well on a lighter node life science, biology was one of my favorite subjects so love to recollect and do old stuffs :LOL
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

My view is different. If you are in worry, it is failure but if you have hope, you got success.

Breed again. You will desired result in future.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhishek

SCORPIO wrote:My view is different. If you are in worry, it is failure but if you have hope, you got success.

Breed again. You will desired result in future.
Thanks Rajiv Ji, for the encouraging word :)

Will keep on doing it..
Abhishek

Finally after a year and half I can boast some thing :D

As explained doing this exercise from last One and a half year where I was just keeping the red with the red and the black with the black.

Once I have a good batch of juveniles used to sell of the adults and now the last 2 batches I am getting only red babies from crystal red. And do I have to say I am happy ;) ;)

So its 99.9% confirmed that I have created my own Pure Line shrimps ( which means a crs*crs=crs). Will make the 99.9% = 100% once I get the new batch...

Some observations - due to this selective breeding the brood size has reduced, but thats ok :D
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

Thanks Abhishek for sharing the deep secrets behind the CRS flue. I've tried 3 times to keep CRS and every time I burned my finger, as a result give up the idea to keep it.. That's why to me ..your story is sound like .."climbing on Everest"
.. A grand Salute....
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
Abhishek

Thanks Kaushik da for the nice words :)