Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Abhishek wrote:You might then well create a new breed itself :)
We will name it as Cardina cf. Rajivensis :adore
:roll

Waiting Aamir for some clicks to show here.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
aquadream
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquadream »

Good topic to start with & thanks for sharing..

cheers
Rajeev
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

Can we keep Shripms & Ramarezi together?
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

aawnaik wrote:Can we keep Shripms & Ramarezi together?

Nope. :dua
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Adding some thing to this one, from my experience and also talking with senior pro-hobbyist all across the globe -

Better Fry Survival -

Higher grade shrimps even the Neocardina Orange, Yellow, Snowball to our famed CRS, CBS and tiger shrimps. Shrimps surviving from being born to reaching adulthood is always less. Reasons can be many but have been able to find out some solutions and (touch wood) its working a great deal to me -

1. When ever you will have shrimplets, try to change the water religiously around 25% per week - same water parameters by the way.

2. Drop a IAL leave once your mommy shrimp is carrying eggs for around 20+ days so that during the initial phase of the new born they have loads of micro-organisms to chew from.

3. Which ever food you are feeding to the adults, take a little quantity of it and powder it down and throw it in the tank. The babies will consume it, because they cant compete with the adults for food.

4. Keep decent amount of vegetation.

5. If you can them add some Ada-bacter or similar products made by Benibachi, Mosura or Borneo wild. They amazingly helps in babies survival.

I follow these simple things from the last 6 months and have seen a good result. So sharing it with you all - let me know if it helps.. :)
JayC
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by JayC »

I'll add one point here which you guys have not touched on.

You seem to have gained some knowledgeable insights into what you should feed your shrimps.
congrates

A varied diet is best. Processed foods mixed with fresh foods like vegetables, leaves, and fruits (as long as there are no traces of fertilisers or pesticides). Be careful if you buy vegetables/fruits from shops. It's very likely that the growers have used pesticides. Even a little trace of it can wipe your tank. - Did I say be careful? The benefits of vege/fruits are good though, so don't let your shrimps miss out.

Some processed food from speciality shrimp focussed manufacturers like Benibachi, Mosura is much better than using foods designed for fish. Fish food is ok for fish, not for shrimps. They will SURVIVE on it. But will not THRIVE on it.
There are other good brands too, but not sure if you can get them ... Low Keys, RAC (Ryu Aqua Creator), Borneo Wild, Ebita Breed, and Shirakura.
The Japanese are not the only ones that make good food products. The Germans are right up there too.
GLASGARTEN Shrimp Dinner, is one to look out for.

In Aus, we have a local forum member who has made his own food for sale called "Shrimp Crack".
http://www.bossaquaria.com.au/shrimp-crack-30g/
Everyone who has used this food says their shrimps went NUTs over it.

These foods above are good, BUT, they are mostly vegetable based, some are supplemented with minerals.
But that's not enough!!! If that is all you feed them, they are missing out on a crucial portion of their diet.

What you probably might not be aware of is these little shrimps crave protein occasionally.
By protein, I mean meat!
Have you not seen how shrimps will graze on other dead shrimps? They are opportunistic feeders in the wild.
I don't suggest you place a dead fish in the tank, that will foul the water in a hurry.
Instead, provide your shrimpy friends with some Frozen Blood Worms once a week. And only enough to ensure they are all eaten.

This will reduce cannibalism.
It gives them the energy to moult properly.
Successful moults will lead to more berried females !!
Frozen worms eliminates the risk of introducing bacteria into the tank.
I guarantee you will see fights between shrimps trying to eat frozen blood worms. I've seen little shrimp tug-o-war fights break out when two shrimps battle for the same worm. :dua

If you have been having trouble getting some of your shrimps to get berried, then try feeding them some protein.

Note: the % protein you see on the bottle/packaging of bought foods, is NOT the same as feeding them Frozen Blood Worms.

Any brand of frozen blood worms is fine, as long as you trust the quality.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

JayC wrote:I'll add one point here which you guys have not touched on.

You seem to have gained some knowledgeable insights into what you should feed your shrimps.
congrates

A varied diet is best. Processed foods mixed with fresh foods like vegetables, leaves, and fruits (as long as there are no traces of fertilisers or pesticides). Be careful if you buy vegetables/fruits from shops. It's very likely that the growers have used pesticides. Even a little trace of it can wipe your tank. - Did I say be careful? The benefits of vege/fruits are good though, so don't let your shrimps miss out.

Some processed food from speciality shrimp focussed manufacturers like Benibachi, Mosura is much better than using foods designed for fish. Fish food is ok for fish, not for shrimps. They will SURVIVE on it. But will not THRIVE on it.
There are other good brands too, but not sure if you can get them ... Low Keys, RAC (Ryu Aqua Creator), Borneo Wild, Ebita Breed, and Shirakura.
The Japanese are not the only ones that make good food products. The Germans are right up there too.
GLASGARTEN Shrimp Dinner, is one to look out for.

In Aus, we have a local forum member who has made his own food for sale called "Shrimp Crack".
http://www.bossaquaria.com.au/shrimp-crack-30g/
Everyone who has used this food says their shrimps went NUTs over it.

These foods above are good, BUT, they are mostly vegetable based, some are supplemented with minerals.
But that's not enough!!! If that is all you feed them, they are missing out on a crucial portion of their diet.

What you probably might not be aware of is these little shrimps crave protein occasionally.
By protein, I mean meat!
Have you not seen how shrimps will graze on other dead shrimps? They are opportunistic feeders in the wild.
I don't suggest you place a dead fish in the tank, that will foul the water in a hurry.
Instead, provide your shrimpy friends with some Frozen Blood Worms once a week. And only enough to ensure they are all eaten.

This will reduce cannibalism.
It gives them the energy to moult properly.
Successful moults will lead to more berried females !!
Frozen worms eliminates the risk of introducing bacteria into the tank.
I guarantee you will see fights between shrimps trying to eat frozen blood worms. I've seen little shrimp tug-o-war fights break out when two shrimps battle for the same worm. :dua

If you have been having trouble getting some of your shrimps to get berried, then try feeding them some protein.

Note: the % protein you see on the bottle/packaging of bought foods, is NOT the same as feeding them Frozen Blood Worms.

Any brand of frozen blood worms is fine, as long as you trust the quality.
JayC i'm glad to see you here and i'm thankful that you personally took the initiative to join the forum and to provide valuable tips to us. By far Abhishek and a few other hobbyists have worked really heard to promote shrimpkeeping and your presence will surely strengthen their efforts.
Sushant
JayC
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by JayC »

sushant wrote: JayC i'm glad to see you here and i'm thankful that you personally took the initiative to join the forum and to provide valuable tips to us. By far Abhishek and a few other hobbyists have worked really heard to promote shrimpkeeping and your presence will surely strengthen their efforts.
You're welcome. I do this for the love of the hobby. I want to see it succeed and advance.
Sharing what I have trialled to be successful, saves everyone time and going through the same failures.

The more we learn from each other the better.

It's not just the people keeping shrimps we must reach, the people selling them also need to learn about keeping shrimp.
The number of times I have seen fish shops selling shrimps kept in incorrect conditions upsets me. Cause the moment some body new to the hobby who takes these shrimp home will have dead shrimp. And they will be put off by the experience.

We shrimp keepers are a small community. I encourage everyone to support each other as much as possible.
Last edited by JayC on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

Lovely update there Jay...

Have tried the blood worms with my tiger shrimps and they go mad when they get it!!!
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »