Confession, some words of caution & perhaps my biggest los

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Confession, some words of caution & perhaps my biggest los

Unread post by Abhishek »

Confession about my biggest lost!!

Hi All,

I have been keeping shrimps from last 5 years . Recently moved to a new apartment and the biggest tragedy of my shrimp keeping tenure happened. The tragedy happened is mostly attributed from my side.

Background –
Earlier in my old apartment I haven’t used any remineralizing salt as the tap water quality there was good. I used to mix tap water and RO water and used to get the desire TDS and GH. My shrimps were happy so never bothered.

Incident –
I moved to my new apartment, same city around 15 km away from my old place. And as usual I have used the same water mixing criteria, tap water plus RO water to get desired parameters. The TDS of the tap water was fine around 180ppm.
I even used ADA Do Aqua with the tap water to remove the chlorine effect and then mix it with the RO water.
The tanks in my new apartment were already cycled 15 days prior with fishes in it. Removed the fishes and then introduced my shrimps.

But once I started doing the water change with the tap+ro water mix, my shrimps started dying. Just 6-12 hours post the water change interval I could see dead shrimps.
The deaths were constant sometime 5-8 in number sometime in 1-2. In no time I lost my Crystal Red Shrimp from 70 to 5, and lost my entire stock of tigers, tangerine tigers, blue jelly.
Some of the shrimps died post molting, some I found dead in extreme corners.

In every aquarium on mine I have double filtration – one canister and one air driven sponge for effective filtration and decent amount of aeration. So death due to improper oxygen flow is chalked out.

Possible Issue –
As the tank was cycled and also no new shrimp have been introduced so all things point down to one issue – WATER Quality!!
Took my tap water to a friend and got it tested there and found high level of magnesium, copper, lead inside the water which possibly could be the culprit of the mass demise.

Action and Prevention -
After discussing thoroughly with my shrimp friends and gurus decided to move every shrimp setups into 100% RO + Remineralizing Salt.
So prepared a new tank as per that and after some days moved my remaining shrimps to that setup and luckily they are doing good. Introduced some Indian Almond leaves also in the new setup. It’s been around 3-4 weeks and they are still doing well. Hope they continue the same way.

Learning
For keeping shrimps the most important thing required is – pristine water quality. Either due to less amount of knowledge, or may be unwillingness to spend on remineralizing salt we tend to do the same permutation & combination with tap water and RO water. If it primarily worked fine for you don’t be so much buoyant as the moment your tap water quality decreases you are doomed! And tap water quality is inversely proportional to water the municipality people are pumping inside it.

My honest suggestion would be to get a remineralizing salt and use 100% RO. In this way you can chalk out the water fluctuations and also removal of the heavy metals from the water. This also enables you to maintain proper water parameters. If money is an issue to get a remineralizing salt, my suggestion – wait for some days – accumulate fund – then start the tank.

A simple math to show you how effective it will be -
For e.g. you are going to buy 6 Crystal Red Shrimp at INR 250/pc so total is 250*6 = INR 1500.
If your entire stock goes for a toss you lose INR 1500.

A remineralizing salt (SL Aqua Blue Wizard/ Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp GH+ or Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ ) will cost you around INR 1250 maximum and can prepare 660lt or more of ready to use water.

Investing INR 1250 can save your entire shrimp stock and if happy they can multiply so its return on investment. Choice is yours.

Some more precautions -

Water Change –
Don’t do a massive like 40%-50% water change, do it in small quantity like 10%-20%. With nominal water change you can reduce shock.

Introducing new plants –
Many aquarium plants are grown emersed in plant farms and treated with all kinds of pesticides which are, obviously, extremely toxic to shrimp. Fish will do fine, whereas shrimp will almost immediately fall over and die. Unfortunately, rinsing does not always get rid of all traces of pesticides. Therefore, it is imperative to buy non-pesticide treated plants or exchange plants with other hobbyists instead of buying plants grown in huge plant farms and offered at your local pet store or your favorite internet retailer. Best Bet will be to keep the plants in a separate setup after rinsing for a week and then introduce them to your main tank.
parthapratim22

Re: Confession, some words of caution & perhaps my biggest los

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

OMG...never kept shrimp so seriously, but really we need to be very cousious keeping the parameter. So sad to hear such huge loss. Great information thanks.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
Abhishek

Yes PPC da, the heavy metals take a big toll on the shrimps!
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

Really a sad episode.
Hope this information will help people who keep shrimps.
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am one of the first shrimp keepers of Delhi. But dont know more about them. Metal contents in water are always crucial for shrimps. But if shrimps are dying, increasing aeration and 10% water change after every 50-60 minutes always help to save them.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vasishta.sushant »

This is sad. Sorry for your loss. I've been through a similar traumatic experience, not so long ago, when I lost all my 50+ RCS in one straight shot. I can empathize.
30x18x18 Tank | ADA Amazonia | EHEIM Classic 2217 | Finnex RAY2 LED | EHEIM Jager | Pressurized CO2

Learning to sustain...
Abhishek

Somen wrote:Really a sad episode.
Hope this information will help people who keep shrimps.
Thanks Somen dada, Idea is that only.
Abhishek

SCORPIO wrote:I am one of the first shrimp keepers of Delhi. But dont know more about them. Metal contents in water are always crucial for shrimps. But if shrimps are dying, increasing aeration and 10% water change after every 50-60 minutes always help to save them.
What you are telling will get them into more shock, and will pave a more smoother way to heaven.
Every hour water change -10% that means in 12 hours approx 120% water change, just think of the change of the parameters 666

As mentioned all of my tanks have extra aeration, and who should metal content is crucial for shrimps? ?
Some trace minerals are required for them, but metals like Lead, Magnesium, Copper = rest in peace 666
Abhishek

vasishta.sushant wrote:This is sad. Sorry for your loss. I've been through a similar traumatic experience, not so long ago, when I lost all my 50+ RCS in one straight shot. I can empathize.
Thanks Vasishta, I am already making a come back ;)
Abhishek

Just got a new RO unit installed at my place and all tanks are going to RO + Remineralizers.

Even the neocardinas :)