My experiment with Neocaridina Deticulata Shrimp

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

My experiment with Neocaridina Deticulata Shrimp

Unread post by Kaushik »

In the month of June I bought some Neocaridina Denticulata Shrimp (6 Sakura Red and 6 Blue Jelly colored )from Rana Ganguly, Kolkata which I put in my 2 years old sized 18X 10 X14 inch thick planted tank. The substrate of course ADA Amazonia, with pH 7.9 and TDS 120, 6 hours lighting( 9 watts Philips LED bulb). There after I got 2 (Sakura Red and Jelly Blue ) F1 from the respective batch. The method I used is nothing special… I just confined one particular colored shrimps both male and female in a net box inside the tank for 72 hours and after 72 hours freed them in to the tank. In the net box I put some pelia and java moss and feed them Hikari shrimp food and a special home made food. Before putting them in the net box I changed 50% water with rain water. I also used about a pinch of Sea salt, Chalk powder, Calcium carbonate, Magnesium sulfate, Sodium bicarbonate and iodine. The female shrimps bearing (holding the fertile eggs and give birth to tiny shrimplets )a period of 20 days.
I repeat the experiment once again with my F1 Sakura red + Blue jelly… Indecently I got some Red rili shrimp. Also I got some Pearl blue(white/Blue opaque body )while experimenting with Jelly Blue+ transparent neo caridina male. I also got yellow colored Neocaridina Denticulata during the experiment. I think a mutation takes place accidentally and camouflaging with surrounding triggers up the color genes. Finally I’m very happy to get my desired colored shrimps specially the rili one. Actually Rajivjee introduced me to the shrimp fever years before and previously I got Black and Yellow shrimps from mutations but some how I lost the gene line. Now I suggest you if you have time then don’t go for ready -to- add expensive neocaridina shrimp available in many colors in LFS.You can do it yourself by developing several color combinations in your own laboratory tank. It’s a great feeling seeing them colors flying in your tank specially the new born baby’s. Hope some of you will be benefited from the diary will carry out experiment to get more colored Neocaridina Denticulata Shrimp. Happy shrimp keeing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kaushik on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Re: My experiment with Neocaridina Deticulata Shrimp

Unread post by Kaushik »

More photos of F2.. Later on I will post the Box net which I used to separate adult M/F shrimps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Good Work dada :)

I also love working on cross breeding.

But with neos after 3-4 generations they will go back to their parent(male) gene colors. For eg if you have crossed a blue male with a female yellow, after 3 - 4 generation if you dont do selection then you will find bulk of the population turned back to blue.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Kaushik wrote:Actually Rajivjee introduced me to the shrimp fever years before and previously I got Black and Yellow shrimps from mutations but some how I lost the gene line.
That was our first meet.

Nice experiments.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by devchitra »

Nice explanation.
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

by Abhishek » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:20 pm
Good Work dada :)

I also love working on cross breeding.

But with neos after 3-4 generations they will go back to their parent(male) gene colors. For eg if you have crossed a blue male with a female yellow, after 3 - 4 generation if you dont do selection then you will find bulk of the population turned back to blue.
Quite true Abhishek.... That's because of G J Mendles" law of segregation and the law of independent assortment".... Isn't so? :). I think if Mendle is alive today he may chose Neo caridina shrimp instead of fly bees for his experiment.
-A P J Abdul Kalam
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

What if we choose females from new breeding and blue male during every breeding?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

SCORPIO » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:41 pm
What if we choose females from new breeding and blue male during every breeding?
Good quiz Rajivjee... May be I'm wrong... because you are still in touch with the genome-try subjects.. I think it would follow the basic rules depicted in the pictures
Last edited by Kaushik on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-A P J Abdul Kalam
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

More to add if you induce Deep blue in F3 ... F4... it could trigger up the dominant pool..thus one get 3:1 ratio of (3deep blue 1 faint blue)offspring... Waiting for your valuable inputs. :)
-A P J Abdul Kalam
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Kaushik wrote:More to add if you induce Deep blue in F3 ... F4... it could trigger up the dominant pool..thus one get 3:1 ratio of (3deep blue 1 faint blue)offspring... Waiting for your valuable inputs. :)
Dada wait for coming months. I will provide you the chance for more experiments with some more varieties of shrimps.