Need suggestions to keep flowerhorn and arowana.

Forum for discussion on big size fishes such as Arowana, Flowerhorns etc.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need suggestions to keep flowerhorn and arowana.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I have a tank 36X18X18 inch with lots of anubias. I want to keep a flowerhorn along with small arowana in this tank. Planned to sale arowana after every six months and buy new one to keep. Is it possible to keep flowerhorn and arowana in same tank? Need expert advice.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Need suggestions to keep flowerhorn and arowana.

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

not possible

i think u might try with a silver arowana
and as the tank is small, u will have to go with one which is going to be at least 6-7" and can keep it till it gets 13" or so, as u plan to keep for 6 months

now the issues i see are
- silver aros less than 10" need to be kept without any stress, and with the FH constantly bothering the arowana, the arowana will succumb to stress and usually die of swim bladder issue
- once ur FH is larger than 4" that will be within a few months, even if u get one which is 1.5", and once it is 4" it will not allow any fish to be introduced in the tank

the other norm, people take with silver arowanas larger than 10" is to keep cichlids which are at least smaller than 1/3rd of the arowana, example - with a 13" arowana the cichlid has to be not bigger than 4"
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Is there any Arowana species which stay under size for a 3 footer tank? :? I can also brought another sp.
What about short body flowehorns?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

I wouldnt mix them Rajiv.

The FH, if is an aggressive character, will stress the arowana out. Most FH's are aggressive. They are bred for their aggression.
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

Rajive SIr..

If you keeping Arowana about 3-4 in size and FH about 1 inches in size then its possible to keep becauze at that size they don't became agressive upto FH 4 Arowana upto 6-7.. i think Monster keeps what you say is it possible..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

maaz wrote:Rajive SIr..

If you keeping Arowana about 3-4 in size and FH about 1 inches in size then its possible to keep becauze at that size they don't became agressive upto FH 4 Arowana upto 6-7.. i think Monster keeps what you say is it possible..
Maaz, here the idea is to keep them for months and not for few days and these fish grow at a very high rate. Also there would be compatibility issues as well. it may result in loss of one of them and the greater chances are that it would be your aro.
Sushant
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

sushant wrote:
maaz wrote:Rajive SIr..

Maaz, here the idea is to keep them for months and not for few days and these fish grow at a very high rate. Also there would be compatibility issues as well. it may result in loss of one of them and the greater chances are that it would be your aro.
i agree with sushant arro will not be able to complete with flowerhorn
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

ok..i thought that much small dont create any problem..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com