Thermostat Query

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Thermostat Query

Unread post by Abhi »

apuda2010 wrote:@Romi...A Ranco will set you back by around $70. There are many sellers on eBay. There are two variants of the product - one with only one controller , the other with two controllers - one to control the heater and another to control the chiller (as an example).

When it comes to heaters, I strongly recommend Eheims or Rena. The loss of precious fauna is simply not worth it. I built my own PC , and I can tell you that the two things I never compromise on are a paid and fully supported version of the OS and top quality hard disks. A heater in a tank is an important component, and compromising on quality is very risky.
:1 Agree with you whole heartedly.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

Yes Apuda totally agree to you :)
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

apuda2010 wrote:@Romi...A Ranco will set you back by around $70. There are many sellers on eBay. There are two variants of the product - one with only one controller , the other with two controllers - one to control the heater and another to control the chiller (as an example).

When it comes to heaters, I strongly recommend Eheims or Rena. The loss of precious fauna is simply not worth it. I built my own PC , and I can tell you that the two things I never compromise on are a paid and fully supported version of the OS and top quality hard disks. A heater in a tank is an important component, and compromising on quality is very risky.
with a basic knowledge of c programming you can build your own tepmerature controller using PIC or arduino at 1/3rd the cost with the precision of best controllers available in the market
Sushant
Neeraj
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Neeraj »

we are using ehiem rena or other local stuff also, its worth to give a try to Aquael to know the quality and also to get one more brand in the wishlist :)
Regards,
Neeraj
https://www.facebook.com/petduniya
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

@Sushant...I agree wholeheartedly with you on the Arduino bit. I have 6 timers, one temperature controller and one pH controller. I wish I could combine all of these into one controller.

I use the Eheim Jager 300W. It has an unusual property. It uses a glass which does not crack when you are doing a water change. What generally happens when we do a water change is that the level of water goes down. As it goes down, the heater gets exposed. Once you add the water back again, the cold water makes the (by now) very hot glass burst and crack.

With the Jager heaters, you can add the water back in , the glass does not crack. I have lost 3 heaters in the past because of this. When the first one happened , I remember, I cried because it was my first Rena bought with hard earned money way back in 1999 :). Am very happy with my Jager now.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Hi Joyce,

Even I lost my heater just like you. From then on stopped using them, because it was just so costly for me to replace. So un breakable one is very nice option.
BTW, if you want to integrate your controllers let me know, will work out something for you.

Cheers.