Vikram's live food project

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Vikram's live food project

Unread post by Romi »

VishaalDalal wrote:
vikram wrote:Thanks guys for the wonderful feedback .. initiated corrective actions will post pictures soon for further feedback.

@Vishal,
Now I got the reason why my Microfex culture grow slowly.

However I was reading this book "Culturing Live Foods: A Step-by-Step Guide for Culturing One's Own Food for the Home Aquarium by Michael R. Hellweg" in this it mentions to setup and small 5 gallon aquarium with aeration and scotch brite medium at bottom to culture them , any ideas on this?
please send me this book i need to read it also.

Vikram conditions vary region to region also till we don't get our romifex worms classified by the relevant scientific agency it is really not possible to comment.

Aeration would definitely help as this improves the water quality as the stink producing bacteria are mostly anaerobic.
Exactly !
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikram »

This is the culture I got ... please have a look how these are doing ..

--
Vikram
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Vikram, i don't get it. Why don't you grind the oatmeal before you feed the worms? This box was teeming with worms when i saw it last time, the best one of the lot. Now, not even half as many as far as i can make out..
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

find a bigger container fast, transfer half of them to new container... have u rinsed cocopeat to add to the back up culture?
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:find a bigger container fast, transfer half of them to new container... have u rinsed cocopeat to add to the back up culture?
I agree, not expected after very detailed instructions are present in the links.

this container is too deep and small for grindals to do well. and if the glass is vertical with grindals crawling on it points to too much acidity or moisture in the medium
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikram »

Romi wrote:Vikram, i don't get it. Why don't you grind the oatmeal before you feed the worms? This box was teeming with worms when i saw it last time, the best one of the lot. Now, not even half as many as far as i can make out..
The picture is old one .. after the suggestion all are being fed with grinded oats only
Romi wrote:find a bigger container fast, transfer half of them to new container... have u rinsed cocopeat to add to the back up culture?
Cocopeat currently soaked for 48 hrs now .. rinsed twice .. .. will setup a new culture today evening ..
VishaalDalal wrote: this container is too deep and small for grindals to do well. and if the glass is vertical with grindals crawling on it points to too much acidity or moisture in the medium
This is not a deep container ... photograph effect ... ;)
--
Vikram
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Glad to read that...

The worms are doing so well, this is the best time of the year for them :) Not only mineb but Vijjy's fish are enjoying them.

Vikram, we will be satisfied with twice weekly pic too, don't worry :)
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikram »

Updated pictures .. same culture ..
Started another one with soaked coco peat .. will post picture of that one tomorrow

--
Vikram
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

The pics show a culture that has at least a week to go before it is ready for harvesting.... let us see what happens.