Little creatures in my planted tank?

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Little creatures in my planted tank?

Unread post by SCORPIO »

They can be planaria but they are too small.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

There are many species of Planaria (over 20) and less food means smaller size. ;)
arijitphoenix
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by arijitphoenix »

But planerias are not harmful. Why remove them? See to me an aquarium is complete when the nature balances itself. and these tiny creatures are part of it. They come into picture where the nutrition is way to over for the intended inhabitant to absorb and hence these tiny creatures helps to absorb the excess to stop the system from crashing. So if you are really a naturalist they should be no problem. But if the intention of keeping the aquarium as a show piece, they can be removed.Two ways of doing it-
1. Feed sparcely and they will die soon
2. Use a mutton lever. Just throw a piece of lever in the aquarium at night. Early morning remove the piece and change 50 % water and they are all gone.
Thanks
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Will it affect humans health during water change and scaping time?
sommit
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sommit »

I also think those are Planaria, my small tank was also effected a month back,had cleaned the tank completely, now it's fine, though those are not harmful.
Thanks
Som
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

saikumar wrote:Will it affect humans health during water change and scaping time?
backparise A valid question.....
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
bobvin
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by bobvin »

they will not harmful for human being.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

arijitphoenix wrote:But planerias are not harmful. Why remove them? See to me an aquarium is complete when the nature balances itself. and these tiny creatures are part of it. They come into picture where the nutrition is way to over for the intended inhabitant to absorb and hence these tiny creatures helps to absorb the excess to stop the system from crashing. So if you are really a naturalist they should be no problem. But if the intention of keeping the aquarium as a show piece, they can be removed.Two ways of doing it-
1. Feed sparcely and they will die soon
2. Use a mutton lever. Just throw a piece of lever in the aquarium at night. Early morning remove the piece and change 50 % water and they are all gone.
Thanks

Very good advice coolbig
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

saikumar wrote:Will it affect humans health during water change and scaping time?

Not at all. They are just like fish, they exist but do not attack us. In fact, as our well-informed members are pointing out (very good to see), they in fact help us by clearing organic waste efficiently. They go away when the job is done. :)

What else can we want from the poor benign creatures? That they look good? Well, if they don't, just remove them before you take the photo!
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

I would be delighted if ever I see some of these things in my tank, I will take that the tank is thriving and supports animals who don't directly depend on the food that I throw in there.