Project Chill

Post the details about DIY Projects.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Project Chill

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Update....in one short sentence...this is not working.

Rajiv - next step is to procure the gel ice pack
Keshav - your observation is spot on...the ice simply melts too fast since the difference in temperature is massive - 25 degrees !!
Sai - I just set it up last night. Since its an experiment, I want all of you to tell me what should I do to make this work...lets all learn together !! What say ?
Sushant - this is available on eBay...very cheap but effective

I have 3 options which I want to explore now....

1. Put AC aluminium coils inside. This would be to increase the heat exchange.
2. Substitute the ice with gel ice packs
3. Peltier - will this work to maintain the temperature. So the peltier cools water inside the flask, which in turns cools the circulating water.

My thinking is to keep things as simple as possible. Else its a headache to manage so much equipment.

Let me know your thoughts...
rupaK
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rupaK »

parthapratim22 wrote:Can you please show me the setup of flask and piping inside that.
+1

I think if you replace the plastic pipe with any metal pipes (like copper pipes) inside the flask it will increase the efficiency. And add salt in the ice which helps to lowers the freezing point of the ice.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

apuda2010 wrote:Update....in one short sentence...this is not working.

Rajiv - next step is to procure the gel ice pack
Keshav - your observation is spot on...the ice simply melts too fast since the difference in temperature is massive - 25 degrees !!
Sai - I just set it up last night. Since its an experiment, I want all of you to tell me what should I do to make this work...lets all learn together !! What say ?
Sushant - this is available on eBay...very cheap but effective

I have 3 options which I want to explore now....

1. Put AC aluminium coils inside. This would be to increase the heat exchange.
2. Substitute the ice with gel ice packs
3. Peltier - will this work to maintain the temperature. So the peltier cools water inside the flask, which in turns cools the circulating water.

My thinking is to keep things as simple as possible. Else its a headache to manage so much equipment.

Let me know your thoughts...
sure thing

I will go with option 1 and 3 for sure. Aluminium coils + the insulation cover over it. Peltier for 10gal should be ok, what is your tank size?
Depends on what size peliter can you lay your hands on.
Or you can try using multiple peltiers in parallel.
Same time keep and eye on the expenditure, if you are getting to 75% of the cost of a readymade equipment, worth rethinking and replanning.

I am wondering why you are not going the cooling fans way. Delhi should be lot favourable I suppose?
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Yes Sai....valid points. The cooling fans are a huge help - 2-3 degrees on a regular day. But the evaporation is simply too much too handle.

Someone mentioned copper coils - not a good idea for tanks...aluminium is better.

Any other thoughts.
saikumar

Unread post by saikumar »

apuda2010 wrote:Yes Sai....valid points. The cooling fans are a huge help - 2-3 degrees on a regular day. But the evaporation is simply too much too handle.

Someone mentioned copper coils - not a good idea for tanks...aluminium is better.

Any other thoughts.
Yes, copper is worse than your killies when it comes to shrimps.

...and yep, more thoughts, just in case->
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/commu ... ic&t=36569
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

fans are great, but like dada mentioned evaporation is bad as it alters the chemical content, i lost all my shrimps 3 days bak as fan was running 24 hrs and i was not able to water top up.