Tandoor rocks

Forum for discuss on decorative materials used in freshwater aquariums.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Tandoor rocks

Unread post by Naufil »

Naufil wrote: a ref. pic from google.
[ Image ]
I can't :(
I haven't bought any yet. Posted here to know if they are safe or not.

But yeah as Rajiv-ji said they are in-fact Lava Rocks.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Naufil wrote:no they don't, how can they? I mean is that even possible. Can a rock catch fire?
flammable rocks? we won't need gas anymore :)
I was surprised too. see my smiley! grrr

Forget rocks, even some soils, that have over 10% organic matter, when forests catch fire (you must have heard of that), these soils burn like crazy too.

Coal is a kind of rock too, isn't it? Who hasn't burnt coal 666 . ??

lol. on a lighter note, a lot of things can burn if they are put in a very hot closed environment. When a house burns, a lot of stuff that is usually not flammable catches fire too. It burns top to bottom sometimes. In that sense..... When a meteorite enters the atmosphere, it catches fire too. heard of shooting stars, buddy? they burn very brightly indeed. There is a case of a woman in California who got burnt because she collected some rocks from the beach that contained phosphorus. she liked them and put them in her pocket. then her pants caught fire later. ...

In light of Scorpio's comment, I guess these porous rocks are kept in the tandoor buffer the coal or charcoal and spread the heat over the tandoor or oven more evenly. .. if we could get a close up of these, we might be able to decide if these are indeed suitable for putting in aquascapes.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Romi wrote:
I was surprised too. see my smiley! grrr

lol bro you wanna kill me with all that knowledge :D (And if you will read my post again I was asking a question not throwing an allegation. What were you? drunk? :p)
Romi wrote:In that sense..... When a meteorite enters the atmosphere, it catches fire too. heard of shooting stars, buddy? they burn very brightly indeed.
Can't....stop...inner...nerd...from...coming... out....have...to...ans..wer...this...sh..gaaah! *Transforms
Meteorites burn because when it enters the Earth's atmosphere, it goes from traveling through a vacuum to traveling through air. Traveling through a vacuum is effortless -- it takes no energy. Traveling through air is another story. When the meteor hits the atmosphere, the air in front of it compresses incredibly quickly. When a gas is compressed, its temperature rises. This causes the meteor to heat up so much that it glows. The air burns the meteor until there is nothing left. So in essence the meteor itself is not flammable but friction makes them. Any bum who had science in high school can tell you that.
Romi wrote:In light of Scorpio's comment, I guess these porous rocks are kept in the tandoor buffer the coal or charcoal and spread the heat over the tandoor or oven more evenly. .. if we could get a close up of these, we might be able to decide if these are indeed suitable for putting in aquascapes.
:1 I will post some pics as soon as I get my hand-s on those damn rocks

Please Don't Kill Me After Reading This. I Have The Right To Make Jokes Too! heart heart heart
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Naufil wrote:I will post some pics as soon as I get my hand-s on those damn rocks
Also let me know the source, price and color.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I wasn't drunk, no, I was joking. I hope neither were you when you wrote all that, but I admit one cant be sure.... Glad to hear you aren't a bum and know about meteors. But the point is, a lot of things can burn, they may or may not be flammable. they might come from a vacuum or a very hot place or just be inside your pocket (like the lady in California who took some rocks home from a beach and her clothes caught fire. her husband was also burnt while saving her), they can still burn. So you need to be SURE what you are dealing with there. .... we need a close up of these rocks now. I have seen several ore-bearing rocks on sale on MG road. they look good in gardens are are sold for a price. but keeping them in water is a different ball game.

In the laxmi nagar shop, I have seen rocks with metallic ores which give them a glossy appearance. I think those rocks should not be put in aquariums because metals are likely to leach from them. I think some of them have even copper, which as we know kills almost everything in a tank.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Abhimanyu Ji, don't be like that please :adore I was just kidding. You are my oracle. My hobby is a dark room and you are my flash light. Guide me heart
Well...I was...just a little drunk...on tea ;)
I will provide a closeup as soon as I can. I checked in my locality and didn't find them at any Dhaba. I have one or two more places to check. If I don't find any there then I will have no option but go and check with the traders of the said rocks in Old Delhi. Only thing preventing me is the heat\sun and general laziness.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

:ugeek: