Shrimps & Dragon fly nymph

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
anand.patki
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Shrimps & Dragon fly nymph

Unread post by anand.patki »

Hi, I wanna know if anyone has experienced that Dragon fly nymph feeding on shrimps. This can be experienced if someone is having shrimp culture in pond with lesser depth. I have noticed that Dragon fly lays eggs in pond or aquarium which is not covered within few days Dragon fly nymphs are visible in water, I always wonder what this little creatures feed on, There is a possibility that they may eat shrimps, but i have never noticed one in act. One of my friend shared his experience that he has seen this creature feeding on shrimp. Now the mystery is was the shrimp already dead or that Dragon fly nymph killed shrimp & eat. please let me know how to tackle with this Dragon fly nymph.

Thank you
Anand Patki
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Shrimps & Dragon fly nymph

Unread post by Naufil »

Hey Anand
Dragon fly nymphs are carnivores and excellent hunters. They eat whatever they can overcome, including tadpoles, other insect larvae, small fish, fish fry and Shrimps!
If it can eat a tadpole or a small fish, your shrimp will be definitely be on the menu. Proof:

pics used for ref. only.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Dragon fly nymph are by birth hunters. They will eat every creature in tank which they can caught and control. It is always best to cover outdoor tanks.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
anand.patki
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by anand.patki »

Thank you Naufil & SCORPIO for reply, your reference & photo documentation has helped me understanding this nymph better. I will always keep outdoor tanks covered in future. :)
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

i may sound harsh but, the moment you find them in the tank try to catch and kill it at the earliest diablo
Sushant
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Actually, give more time read a bit. It takes an yr for some to become dragonfly from larve stage. So don't kill it don't collect it. Release it somewhere it can grow. It doesn't break ecosystems like tilapia.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

saikumar wrote:Actually, give more time read a bit. It takes an yr for some to become dragonfly from larve stage. So don't kill it don't collect it. Release it somewhere it can grow. It doesn't break ecosystems like tilapia.
I am also agree to Sai. Now days Dragon flyies are rare. So release them in any water source.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

saikumar wrote:Actually, give more time read a bit. It takes an yr for some to become dragonfly from larve stage. So don't kill it don't collect it. Release it somewhere it can grow. It doesn't break ecosystems like tilapia.
:1 agreed with Sai.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by slowpoison »

wow. these can actually hunt under the water's surface?
Regards,
Arijit
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Yes. In-fact they have gills in their rectum!
Put one in a jar with some mosquito larvae and see it hunt... :geek: