Identification of fish

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Identification of fish

Unread post by SCORPIO »

It is a sparkling black beauty. I also want to know. What is the size of fish?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Rajeev size of this guy was around 6-7 cm.

Sai the LFS got in the bill this guy name as dumble. But after checking the pictures of bumble bee catfish on net definitely this isnt one and even the body structure is different. It keeps on clinging to surface just like a Pleco or otto. And towards the end of tail this guy had another vertical fin sticking upright
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I wish my memory was not so terrible. I have seen this fish about two years ago on sale in the shop in Sarojini Nagar, Delhi, for a price perhaps a 100 or two bucks higher than what he is asking you, Shergill.

I was also charmed by the appearance and personality of these fish, and I suspected they were indian natives but was not sure, because natives are usually cheap and this one is not.

After googling around the next day, I was lucky to find a positive ID and the fish, if I remember correctly, turned out to be from the IndoMalaya region with perhaps an overlap in our northeast region (same native area as the Datnioides). I had stored the name and picture in my hard disk somewhere, and then transferred it to my portable harddisk later. so I will need to go check that. After I came to know the ID and that the fish will not grow too large for me, I regretted not buying.. but I didn't go back to the shop since I was not sure it would be still waiting for me to purchase it :lol:

Are the white lines clearly demarcated and a pure white? they don't seem to be so in the picture. if the lines are fuzzy, then this species could be a close relative of that one. Can you take more pics for us?

I would also suggest you tell the shopkeeper to give it some ceramic or plastic object to hide inside or under ... I think it likes to hide. It will remain very nervous and jumpy otherwise.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Yes Romi agree he is asking higher price but then when only 4-5 LFS in city are there, this is how market works. White lines are clearly demarcated but are not pure white as in picture. LFS would be after me this time if i go again as i spent good one hour there didn't buy anything. :lol:

Yes this fish likes to hide and he has stones inside the tank where the fish were hiding and not coming out, that's the reason had to take picture on hand.

Do let me know when you find the name. Hope no one takes them away before i find out its feeding habits.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

damn mystery fish! looks nocturnal from pigmentation and iris
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I think I finally got it. Could it be Nanobagrus fuscus? I think this was the name I had found earlier too..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

This pic has been taken from the following website http://www.fishbase.org/summary/23057

There is another image taken from this page

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... rawak.html

What do you say Sharegill?

I do think I saw narrower white stripes than the pics here but the fish is definitely a bagrid. I know coz I own Rama chandrama, another bagrid catfish, and they are distinctive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Also,

www.planetcatfish.com
post a pic there and you ll get a sure shot id.
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

it is a beautiful fish.