Natives in Old Delhi's colored municipal water

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Natives in Old Delhi's colored municipal water

Unread post by Naufil »

Did get your attention there didn't I....read on
Few Sundays past I visited Old Delhi for the first time. Purpose was to buy a cage and some 'Rodents' (which I had been planning for some time now)
First impression: a very crowded place, pushy people, complete mission, find escape hatch. So, I wasn't prepared at all. There was a street market that I was told about by some, but seemed more like a village fair to me. Anyways didn't find any rats, maybe I missed the shop. But I did find lots and lots of birds. Parrots, parakeets, pigeons, ducks even pheasants (which were definitely 100% illegal, more so because they were hidden in a cage covered with dirty rags). Some more tiny birds and more parrots later and finally I came across some rodents in the last shop which also had rabbits and guinea pigs. But no rats...well RATS!! I did buy a cage (which I still think is overpriced) but no rats, I will look elsewhere because at that time I just wanted to escape outta there....

Anyways trip didn't prove entirely worthless because of what I came across when leaving the 'premises' (more like gates of Mordor)....kids and some older dudes with priceless native fish in discarded alcohol bottles filled with colored municipal water. Tens of fish, gouramis, baby snakeheads, angry catfishes with menacing whiskers, swirling, twirling, gasping for breath in bottles with necks narrower than chopsticks. Okay silly metaphor aside, that wasn't a comic sight at all. 'Where did you get these from? How much for a bottle?" I asked. Boy replies: "Aapko yeh macchi market mein 100-200 ka pair milega. Main aapko 200 ka poora bottle dera hoon, isme 10 macchi hai, gourami hai, rosy barb hai blah blah". I seemed uninterested so he pulled another one from a sack. This one had barbs (red line I think), a few gouramis and a crab and a shrimp. Seemed like a fair deal. He added that usually he has more variety of fish. Since the weather is so cold, fish have stopped coming (from where?)
He refused to share any details of the source of his catch. I didn't buy any because the fish were almost....dead. There was no chance that they could have made it. Some were visibly infected by ICH. I Felt sorry for them but what could I have done. So that was it...just wanted to share this experience. No pics sorry...didn't take out my phone, place was too crowded.
Another trip is in order though, cause who knows what I may discover on the next trip. I have to see what other species are available with them. Baby snakeheads looked nice with the red stripes. The crab looked nice too, but it could have been a land crab, for all I know. Perhaps when the weather is good and so is the fish boys mood he can divulge me with the details of his little operation loolll! and perhaps I will discover some salvageable fish in those bottles. Well, there is always another day.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Natives in Old Delhi's colored municipal water

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I saw these bottle sellers many times in previous years around Chandni Chowk. This is a cruelty with fishes.

I don't think that most of these fishes from Delhi. Here you can caught Channa gachua, gouramis, rosy barb etc. Never caught any crab in Yamuna or Hindon river. So source will be far away from Delhi.

These bottle sellers know how to keep fishes. Their business is just money making.by selling fishes.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Very true Rajiv sir.
Most bottles have tiny necks with very little air passage. labyrinth and catfish can survive for some time in such conditions but all barbs must be dying from low oxygen. Forgot to add that - I also saw Parambassis ranga and juvenile spiny eels.
Crab was very nice, small size, good for planted tank. If we get to know the source than we can get some in better conditions and probably stop the bottle trade.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Parambassis ranga and spiny eels are easily available in Yamuna. On coming Tuesday, I will look there to search some crabs.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

sometimes I want to join you but you live so far from my place, will take me 2hrs. to just reach there nyways....did you find anything today?
severumkid
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by severumkid »

You write very well Naufil.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

severumkid wrote:You write very well Naufil.
:thumup :1
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

thanks guys :)
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

severumkid wrote:You write very well Naufil.
:1

there are lots of fishes around delhi. i caught a some barb in hindon river in ghaziabad.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Thanks devchitra, do you go on collection trips sometimes?