Filter media

Discuss here about various water parameters of marine aquariums.
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Filter media

Unread post by aawnaik »

Is there a life (expiry) of filter media (Ceramic Rings & Bio Balls) used in external Filter? I have been using the same media in my Eheim 2217 for about 2 years now.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Filter media

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I thought No. I am also using from years. But after every 6-7 months, I wash them properly and keep in sunlight for 2-3 days. Wait the response of others.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

SCORPIO wrote:I thought No. I am also using from years. But after every 6-7 months, I wash them properly and keep in sunlight for 2-3 days. Wait the response of others.
No drying of filter media. Just clean them.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

parthapratim22 wrote:
SCORPIO wrote:I thought No. I am also using from years. But after every 6-7 months, I wash them properly and keep in sunlight for 2-3 days. Wait the response of others.
No drying of filter media. Just clean them.
:1
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

I quite agree with Partha And Somen da, there is no reason to dry them.
Sushant
kvdelhi
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by kvdelhi »

The ceramic balls and filter pads give useful bacteria place to stay, live and purify water. Older the filter, more the bacteria and better it is, so never change it. Problem is with time, there pores get clogged with dirt and mud slowing the flow hence need cleaning preferably once every 3 months. Drying it or exposing it to soap or detergent during the process may kill these bacteria, so avoid. If there is slime (probably formed by organisms which may harm these bacteria by overriding them), hence it indicates time to clean it by using free flowing water stream. Another indication for cleaning them is slowing of flow from filter.
If being clogged and must need a change, it is advised to change them stepwise and not all at one time, to keep bacteria live.