Dosage of Glutaraldehyde in Aquarium.

Post your quires on Carbon Dioxide and alternative products.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dosage of Glutaraldehyde in Aquarium.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

2 ml per dose in alternate days.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

A clarification on the post by Matrix.

A lot of glut products are used by hospitals etc to sterilise equipment which are sensitive to high temperature (generally sterilisation is done using heat or hot steam etc). Products like Cidex for example come with an activator. This is a solution in an additional bottle. You add this solution to the glut and get what is known as activated glut. Activated glut is glut in an alkaline solution and has a limited shelf life. For example , according to the MSDS of Cidex , activated Cidex lasts for 28 days.

For us crazy aquarists , since we dont want activated glut....then....in case you are buying Cidex....just throw away the activator as we don't need it :D

I read up a lot on this subject as I am currently suffering from a heavy outbreak of hair algae and I don't like it. Does anyone have any experience using glut as an algaecide ? How does one proceed ? Simply add it to the tank or use a syringe and direct it to affected areas ? Will a 2ml/100ltrs solution help in controlling algae or is this concentration only a substitute for pressurised CO2 ?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Hair algae is very easy to remove by Rosy barbs. They are much effective in comparison of any algaecide or chemical used in aquariums. 2ml. dose of 25% solution of Glut will work as algaecide+Carbon source. I have never used any medicine in the tank after starting Glut dose. Diseases also go away from your tank. Take Glut in a syringe as per requirement and release near the flow of filter. It will be mixed in the water within a few second.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks Rajiv. Yes..Rosy Barbs are an option but the tank has 4 discus at the moment and I am a bit concerned that they will become frightened with the barbs around.

Just to be sure...you are recommending 2ml per 100 litres. So for a 240 litre tank that would be roughly 5 ml...correct ?

Also , what is the frequency ? Thrice a week on alternate days ? Would that do ?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

apuda2010 wrote:Thanks Rajiv. Yes..Rosy Barbs are an option but the tank has 4 discus at the moment and I am a bit concerned that they will become frightened with the barbs around.

Just to be sure...you are recommending 2ml per 100 litres. So for a 240 litre tank that would be roughly 5 ml...correct ?

Also , what is the frequency ? Thrice a week on alternate days ? Would that do ?
You can dose in alternate days. If you have used any decorations such as woods, rocks, plants etc., also consider their volume before dose. I suppose 4 ml in alternate days will be safe in your aquarium. In heavily planted tank, you can also go for higher dose.

parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I bought 25%Glut, My tank size is 18*9*9inch(23ltr)…except substrate and decoration roughly 15ltr.

As per the calculation here, it gives (15*3/25*10000)*1000ml=0.18ml (target of 3ppm)but 1)how to measure 0.18ml, 2)Heard that 25% Glut solution cant dose directly in the tank, 3) As per the link of petalphile.com provided its giving 120ml of 25%Glut rest RO water in 2ltr(2000ml) bottle, now this make 1.5% solution. If I calculate with earlier solution it gives 3ml for alternative days. Am I right???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

@partha...u need anywhere between 1.5% to 2.5%. Since you already have a 25% solution , you need to dilute it 10 times more - which means that you will need to put 1ml of this solution in 9ml of water.
parthapratim22

apuda2010 wrote:@partha...u need anywhere between 1.5% to 2.5%. Since you already have a 25% solution , you need to dilute it 10 times more - which means that you will need to put 1ml of this solution in 9ml of water.
I think I will make 20ml solution so 2ml 25% glut rest water thanks, understood.
RemirezyKrazy
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by RemirezyKrazy »

Went to buy Glut in pharmacies here in mumbai but is not available.. not even Cidex..
No one even knows what glutaraldehyde is..!!
I asked for cidex and one out of 13 shops had 8 varieties of cidex.. which one to buy??
what are the other brands/generics/names etc of glut which would be available in a pharmacy?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe we should all pay our tax with a smile. I tried - but they wanted cash.

``Ashish``
parthapratim22

RemirezyKrazy wrote:Went to buy Glut in pharmacies here in mumbai but is not available.. not even Cidex..
No one even knows what glutaraldehyde is..!!
I asked for cidex and one out of 13 shops had 8 varieties of cidex.. which one to buy??
what are the other brands/generics/names etc of glut which would be available in a pharmacy?

Strange!!! you might show them the formula, they might recognize....thats the best way...