The Making of Shrimp Heaven

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
jack

The Making of Shrimp Heaven

Unread post by jack »

hey folks,

i have been working on this tank since last couple of weeks and here is the journey soo far,

Tank size : 18 X 9 X 12

Decoration : Drift wood and few stones ( started with river pebbles, added Lava Rock )

Substrate : ADA Amozonia, aquascaped with golden sand

Co2 : NO co2

Fertilizer : Regular Water changes, a Dash of API leaf Zone ( A drop or two once a Week)

Lightening : 11 W CFL

Temperature: in start of winter with the lights on the temp is 28.5 Degrees and at night it is 26 degrees.

Filtration : Sponge Filter at the moment, will start Rena Canister ( the 0 ring is lost, where can i get any suggestions )

Fish: Micro Galaxy Rasboras, if algae booms then ll shift 2-4 ottos from main tank

Inverts : RCS, Rilli Shrimps and Indian Rainbow 1 Nos

Step by step pics of the tank from day one

the tank on first day, for cycling and to check any leaks,

2-3 days later added the ADA substrate and tied a needle leaf java fern

kept the german subwassertang which was lying in my main tank and tied on the rock

added flame moss on the same day, german subwassertang and flame moss are both 3-4 months old, were lying in my main tank, but never showed any growth.

after a week or soo, searched a lot finally got hands on java moss, tied those to river pebbles,
few floating plants were used to suck up the nutrients

picture of my tank and main tank in my compound

got the growth in the plants, but my patience went out and i was expecting a fast growth in my java moss, but as a slow grower i prefer to get some more java moss. mean while a friend hobbyist shared me plenty of moss and german subwassertang :):)

was bored with the plain ADA substrate, soo added golden sand to give a bit of brightness to the scape.

second problem was the river stones, as the stones are smooth the moss didnt stick to the stone, so changed it to lava rocks and tied the moss to it.

my RCS enjoying on the needle leaf

the rilli shrimp

Flame moss, getting the grip, hope so it grows well

the harigrass

have plenty of german subwassertang and tied the few to the lava rock, will update the pics tomorrow :):)

Now the PROBLEM comes, it has been a month now but the water in the tank is getting green :oops: :oops: :oops: :?: :?: :?:

enjoy my small tank, please feel free to comment and suggestions are more than welcomed.....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Making of Shrimp Heaven

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice writeup. :)
Change water frequently your green water be vanish with the time.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jack

Unread post by jack »

thanks Rajivbro,

but it has been around a month now and the problem is not going away. I do regularly 20% water change every other day. One of the friend suggested not to change water for a week and the water will green water problem will go, but then also no effect. So i do 20% water change every other day.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Hi Jack,

If you want to breed those shrimps then my suggestion would be not keeping the Galaxy Rasboras with them as they will readily eat the small shrimplets. I have housed 6 Galaxy Rasboras with RCS in a Nano and since have never seen tiny shrimplets which were previously visible.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

The cause of Green water are:

1. To much lightinng.
2. Direct Sunlight.
3. To much feeding.

Prevention:
1. Complete black out for 3-4 days.
2. Install power head filter.
3. Regular water change.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

Nice lookin tank Jack.

Rajeev is right. you need to cut back on the direct light the tank is being exposed to. That it self will sort the green water issue out. Alternately, you can try adding more plants to control it. Green Water is actually very notorious for fish.
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com
jack

Unread post by jack »

@ vijendra thanks bro will see to the issue ☺☺

@ Rajivbro

1)the lightning in my7 gallon tank is 11 W
2)no direct sunlight
3)I don’t feed the shrimps and for 6 galaxy I feed 6-8 pellets of ADA gold, every other day

Question 1: as you suggested complete blackout, will my fern and moss be fine in complete blackout ?

Question 2: how will power head help ? and isn’t my tank too small for power head ?
And as I stated I do 20% water change every 2 days :O:O

@ Zakk, thanks mate. What do you mean by Notorious to fish ??
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

typo my friend typo :)
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

introduce daphnia in the tank using breeding net and they will devour all the green water. u can also use uv sterlizer if money is not an issue.
Sushant
jack

Unread post by jack »

sushant wrote:introduce daphnia in the tank using breeding net and they will devour all the green water. u can also use uv sterlizer if money is not an issue.
please eleborate the process of daphnia, money is secondary but how will i give inlet/outlet for such a small tank is the main concern, and today afternoon my driver broke of my mini rena canister filter :oops: :oops: , if that was there i would have used UV in that but now no option :| :|