Hair Algae

Forum for discuss on algae.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Hair Algae

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Guys...I am tired of cleaning hair algae with a toothbrush.

What plants do you recommend which will suck up excess nitrates fast ? Also , has anyone checked out if the Rosy or the Cherry barbs nibble on hair algae ? I have Ottos but they dont like this type of algae at all.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hair Algae

Unread post by SCORPIO »

It is best to remove hair algae manually. You can also introduce Rosy barb in the aquarium. Don't feed those 2-3 days and they will take care of hair algae within a few days.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

Agree with Rajive sir remove manually and Rosy barb are best..water change is best option with these..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
jack

Unread post by jack »

i have introduced SAEs in my tank.... they are cool and clean up each type of algae...... i had BBA SAEs ate them and now my tank is algae free :):)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

jack wrote:i have introduced SAEs in my tank.... they are cool and clean up each type of algae...... i had BBA SAEs ate them and now my tank is algae free :):)
But SAEs are not very effective against hair algae. manual removal is the best option. high iron level in water may be one of the main reason for hair algae breakout , regular maintainance and siphoning the gravelso that building up of Mulm is minimum will also be helpful.
Sushant
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Sushant - you are absolutely right. Mulm is what the hair algae survive on. However , good to hear that the Rosies help.
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

I want to ask with experts if we use Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) for hair algae it helpfull or not..i use this 2-3 time for hair algae..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Hydrogen peroxide is not good for removing hair algae. The nature of hair algae is filamentous so you will have a tough time cleaning everything up. Also, most plants do not tolerate even mild quantities of peroxide.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

are you sure is hair algae and not spirogyra or cladophora? because in both the latter case the only option will be manual removal because no fish is known to eat either of the two. you may try increasing the co2 level and increase water circulation.
Sushant
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Anyone remove Hair algae perfectly with any CHEMICAL OR ANY OTHER WAY EXCEPT MANUALLY
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com