Cactus/cactuses/cacti Vishaal Dalal

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Cactus/cactuses/cacti Vishaal Dalal

Unread post by Romi »

I saw Vishaal's unusual collection of rare cactus plants yesterday evening, and can honestly say, it revived my belief that Army personnel have among the most enthusiasm for nature's beauty in India, for lay people. :) I have a dozen too, but his are on an altogether different level, even in the small balcony in his flat. Lovely evening, the warmth and joy of hospitality at a fishy friend's! Vishaal is usually very busy, and spends a lot of time at his place of work, but luckily he was free this time round.

The cacti are superb, around 25 or so species. One remined me of the impressive Saguaro Cactus of Mexico, associated with desert cowboys, another had no spines but a lot of hair (nicknamed Old Man Cactus), both upright and imposing. There were several making dense clusters in bonsai pots, others drooping, different shades of green further changed by the soot that Gurgaon's air settles on outdoor plants (They are in semi-shade in his projecting balcony railing stand). He says they don't need to be watered at all in this weather, so these plants are amazing for the non-hardworking gardner!

If i judge by my last visit to a nursery (several near Delhi School of Economics in North-West Delhi), where as single stem of a barrel cactus was 150 bucks, Vishaal has pots with rare cacti that could be worth at least several thousand each. No one can collect such plants without a deep and abiding interest in Mother Nature, even Bhabhi, very charming, and bright kids seemed to share in it!
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Since i had been delayed while getting much needed heaters to combat the cold wave in delhi, and some branchy driftwood from Laxmi Nagar, the light was no longer so good as to allow me to photograph the plants. '

If you guys can persuade him to take a few pics of them, it would be great. .. :)
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

this is my small collection
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

neilthirumuttam wrote:this is my small collection
Impressive ;) .Romi can we have some pics from field's collection.
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

sushant wrote:
Impressive ;) .Romi can we have some pics from field's collection.
Sushant, that day i went to vishaal's place, the weather was very foggy.... not good enough for clear pics. Vishaal was right in saying that the natural light in his balcony is hardly reliable. Dunno why... gurgaon air pollution?
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

My goodness, Neil. This first cactus is such an adorable mass of tiny pumpkins! Very attractive, the way it fills the pot to the brim and then some. I don't know why, i find it incredible. what colour flowers does it bear? Do you know teh species?

I must not underestimate your ability to produce one marvel after another. That is a quite a collection of cacti. Are there Euphorbias there as well? Can you take closer pics of the trailing plants for us please?

@Vishaal

Can you take a close look at it and tell me if this is the same one that you have? Why don't you take Neil's example and give us more shots of your plants? Spare us ordinary folk a few mintutes...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice collection!
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:
My goodness, Neil. This first cactus is such an adorable mass of tiny pumpkins! Very attractive, the way it fills the pot to the brim and then some. I don't know why, i find it incredible. what colour flowers does it bear? Do you know teh species?

I must not underestimate your ability to produce one marvel after another. That is a quite a collection of cacti. Are there Euphorbias there as well? Can you take closer pics of the trailing plants for us please?

@Vishaal

Can you take a close look at it and tell me if this is the same one that you have? Why don't you take Neil's example and give us more shots of your plants? Spare us ordinary folk a few mintutes...

The first one is a variety of Echinopsis and it flowers with long pink tinged tubular flowers like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Echin ... ropped.jpg)

the second is Mammillaria boolii , Mammillaria has about 200 varieties
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

and yes I have both but a different variety of echinopsis

all cacti flower provided we give them a dormancy period. mine should start flowering any time now I will post pictures after that.
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

just pay a look

regards,
NEIL
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE