Rules for live food cultures

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Rules for live food cultures

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Dear All,

a lot of people are now keeping live cultures i would like to suggest some rules.
1. if you are going to travell please dont let the cultures die thinking that you will get some more.
2. everyone should list their live cultures in the forum.
3. If anyone who has not kept live cultures earlier he should not be given the starter cultures till you are confident that he / she has enough knowledge to keep it.
4. cultures should be shared freely keeping point 3 in mind.

any others please post.
My cultures with status
1. Microworms
2. Microfex
3. Red Wriglers
4. Meal worms.
5. Grindals.
6. Pond snails.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Rrules for live food cultures

Unread post by ishaan »

At present i have only Grindal worms , have cultured Microworms for 6-7 months in past
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rules for live food cultures

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I does not keeps any live food but agree with you on first point. Please don't forget these live creatures for die.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

1. For fish fry, adult guppies, oryzias, dario dario etc. : Microworms.
2. For small fish, medium and large fish too, the native delhi mini tubifex. Don't know why, bored of them. Tired !!
3. For small and medium fish, grindals.So happy with them currently.
4. For large fish (i always have a few angels :D), red wigglers (not wrigglers, american slang!). Easiest culture of all.
5. Mealworms, but doing badly.

Agree with Vishaal on his points. ... however, i must admit, enough nice guys took cultures from me, for me to get my own cultures back from them twice over. so i am happy...
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

Romi, Vishaal and other experts.
Do you think I should try Grindals? I have so far some success with Microworms, Deli Microfex and Brine Shrimps. Any special care needed for Grindals?
Bappa
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Dada,
thanks for including me in the experts. although as we are dealing with live organisms expertise can never be achieved.

grindals should be easy for you, they dont require any more or less care than other cultures.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

bmukh wrote:Romi, Vishaal and other experts.
Do you think I should try Grindals? I have so far some success with Microworms, Deli Microfex and Brine Shrimps. Any special care needed for Grindals?
Bappa
No special care Dada, but yes, the cocopeat you get from the nursery might not be good quality. Woytek's source was very good (a nursery in his colony, i presume) but mine seems contaminated with salt. So i have to do a lot of rinsing... They dont seem to like the scotchbrite pads anymore, 3 years ago, used them without issues. So as vishaal says, live food is always tricky, and you dont know if it likes your water or cocpeat unless you try...