aquarium filters

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

aquarium filters

Unread post by shergill00 »

All of us use filters in our aquariums but how to decide on which filters to use. 2 kinds of filters external and internal. Now there are so many factors while choosing filter and cost is one important one.

Now what are the pros and cons of using a particular type of filter.

1. Power head filter
2. Hang on back filter
3. Canister filter
4. Sump
5. Sponge filters

Please also mention if there is any other kind as well. For first timers lfs gives fish from slow moving water with power head where they struggle against fast currents.

This would help lot of beginners while making choice.

@ deepesh now don't say this question is again out of syllabus :lol:
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: aquarium filters

Unread post by deepesh »

shergill00 wrote: @ deepesh now don't say this question is again out of syllabus :lol:
Ok ok. :D

Off the top of my head I would add

6. Wet/dry trickle filters
7. Fluidized bed filters
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I forgot to add
8. Under gravel filter
9. Corner/box filters

But these are nowadays probably of historical interest only.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

1. Power head filter
2. Hang on back filter
3. Canister filter
4. Sump (I think is the best if you have the space)
5. Sponge filters
6. Wet/dry trickle filters
7. Fluidized bed filters
8. Under gravel filter
9. Corner/box filters
10 Top filters
11 Skippy filters

but all good filters work on the principal of Mechanical + biological filtration. with seperate chambers for anaerobic bacteria to breakdown Nitrites also but the risks with these is big as the gasses produced are bad. this is one of the reasons why I dont clean my sponge filters regularly.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Guys but how to choose which one is suitable for my tank. And what parameters need to see while deciding on type of filter. no one answered the question?
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

shergill00 wrote:Guys but how to choose which one is suitable for my tank. And what parameters need to see while deciding on type of filter. no one answered the question?
Vishaal have already mentioned the two type of filtration. The choice of filter depends on how much biological and mechanic filter do you need.sump has the highest biological filtration owing to its size. It also increased the overall volume of the tank and thus is generally used in marine tanks. Wet and dry and trickle filter are specializes sump filter where water is allowed to pass through filter media outside water column for better are aerobic activities.

Canister on the other hand are more compact and due to close environment results in low CO2 loss. Thus it's better suited for planted tank with CO2 dosing

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Internal filter and top filter are almost the same thing with little difference in design or placement of filtermedia.

HOB too can be considered in the same league only difference being the motor as well as the media is outside the tank, thus its better in case of small tank and like canister it gives the maximum usable tank space.

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Canisters filters are best for any type of setup. But before buying canister we have to consider the space to put the filter and pocket. In one of tank, I always want to install a canister filter but there is no space for filter. So I am using HOB filter with this tank. In future I want to buy a Mini Canister filter for this tank.

Every filter have some positive and negative points.

1. Power head filter: Water flow is always good. It is also useful in maintain good flow in the bottom area of tank. Good for pocket. Bad for outlook of the tank

2. Hang on back filter: Pocket friendly. Water flow is very slow. In result, planted tank always suffered with algae attack. They also reduces CO2 level in water. But they are very good to reduce water temperature in summers.

3. Canister filter: Suitable for every type of setup. Expensive. Cleaning a canister filter is always a time consuming process.

4. Sponge filters: Best for fry tanks. Inexpensive.

5. Under gravel filter: No experience of these filters.

9. Corner/box filters: Looks very odd in the tank.

10 Top filters: Almost same as HOB
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

All filters will do the job.

Canisters are often preferred as they are versatile. Intake and output can be adjusted, media is modular and size can be easily customized. All this without affecting the look of the tank. The downside is the cost of quality finish and fitting to maintain watertight connections.

In comparison internal filters and HOBs are cheap but puny as they can't be too big. Try imagining a canister filter within or else hanging on to your tank and you can easily see why internal filters and HOBs can never match the filtration of canisters. Internal filters appear to cause a lot of water movement because of a jet of water. HOB create a gentler waterfall that aerates the water but also drives out supplemented CO2.

Sponge filters are the best when you want gentle filtration like in fry tanks. They are surprisingly effective when their slow rates are considered but they don't really match powered filters.

Wet/dry trickle filters provided great filtration as the bacteria live in a thin film of water that allows rapid exchange with atmospheric oxygen thereby increasing their efficiency. Fluidized bed filters are the uber filters with massive bacterial counts capable of supporting large bioloads.

With low loads you can manage with sponge, internal or HOB filters. Gentle circulation means sponge, fast circulation means internal and HOBs are in between. Larger bioloads imply canister filters.

Aquascapers often go for canister filters although I dont quite get the point of massive filtration with such large plant biomass.. backparise actually I think it's because to everybody else canisters are inobtrusive and they don't drive off your co2.

And if you feel anal retentive there are diatom filters to polish your water. :P
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

nice info on filters