aquarium filters

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: aquarium filters

Unread post by deepesh »

Once upon a time undergravel filters were the absolute cutting edge filters. Using plates with slots or holes and uplift or downlift (how can you lift down? downdraft would have been better) tubes the filter would pass the water through the gravel which would of course be the medium. With its large surface are the gravel provided excellent biological and significant mechanical filtration and the filter with its circulating water kept the gravel well oxygenated.

The downside was that whenever you felt the urge to really clean the filter you would have to take down the whole bl**dy contraption and redo your tank all over. Some people actually liked the idea but most felt it was too much.

Also there was raging debate whether plants loved or loathed the water flowing around their roots somewhat on the lines of Marilyn Monroe's mesmerizing skirt. Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Year_Itch Anyway once people started viewing substrate as a means of fertilization the undergravel filter went extinct.

Not really. My parents are still using one of these. Antediluvian, I know but what can you do with parents?
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

thanks for all the information.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

deepesh wrote:Once upon a time undergravel filters were the absolute cutting edge filters. Using plates with slots or holes and uplift or downlift (how can you lift down? downdraft would have been better) tubes the filter would pass the water through the gravel which would of course be the medium. With its large surface are the gravel provided excellent biological and significant mechanical filtration and the filter with its circulating water kept the gravel well oxygenated.

The downside was that whenever you felt the urge to really clean the filter you would have to take down the whole bl**dy contraption and redo your tank all over. Some people actually liked the idea but most felt it was too much.

Also there was raging debate whether plants loved or loathed the water flowing around their roots somewhat on the lines of Marilyn Monroe's mesmerizing skirt. Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Year_Itch Anyway once people started viewing substrate as a means of fertilization the undergravel filter went extinct.

Not really. My parents are still using one of these. Antediluvian, I know but what can you do with parents?
New practice of using a under gravel filter (in non-planted tanks) is reverse undergravel filter, wherein the flow of water through powerhead is allowed inside th filter , as a result dirt is thrown out of the gravel and removed by the power filter.

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

sushant wrote: New practice of using a under gravel filter (in non-planted tanks) is reverse undergravel filter, wherein the flow of water through powerhead is allowed inside th filter , as a result dirt is thrown out of the gravel and removed by the power filter.
Reverse flow UG filtration has been there for some time therefore the "down lift" tubes but the concept of attaching an internal filter as a prefilter is new to me and makes good sense. Thanks Sushant for that tip.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

Very Informative as always!
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

aawnaik wrote:Very Informative as always!

:1 :1

I must admit, i still have a undergravel plastic mesh and the plastic chimneys lying around. However, the 6-months i used them, i realised they were not easy to clean. I read about the reverse flow UGF too, but didnt bother to try it.

Reason?

I believe, soil/commercial substrates/sand/gravel grow good plants, UGH grow good roots! hehe. I mean, the plants do seem to have roots grow right thru the gravel and under the tray, and that really made me wonder if it was worth it. But if i had them lying round, i guess i would do them only coz they were lying around, and i was growing something simple, like Vallisneria and Najas indica.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Romi wrote:
aawnaik wrote:Very Informative as always!

:1 :1

I must admit, i still have a undergravel plastic mesh and the plastic chimneys lying around. However, the 6-months i used them, i realised they were not easy to clean. I read about the reverse flow UGF too, but didnt bother to try it.

Reason?

I believe, soil/commercial substrates/sand/gravel grow good plants, UGH grow good roots! hehe. I mean, the plants do seem to have roots grow right thru the gravel and under the tray, and that really made me wonder if it was worth it. But if i had them lying round, i guess i would do them only coz they were lying around, and i was growing something simple, like Vallisneria and Najas indica.
This can be a good idea for a non planted tank. But I won't recommend this in a planted tank, as the roots will finally clog the filter.

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Allow me to mention one more type of filtration - hydroponics. The whole science of hydroponics is based on the fact that you allow used aquarium water to trickle through a bed of plants at various heights and once the water flows down, you pump it back inside the tank.

The resulting water is swiped crystal clean by plant roots and the soil and is rich in minerals. Of course difficult to implement inside one's home, but useful if you have say a pond in a garden.

I might also add that the type of filtration will vary enormously between a freshwater and marine setup. Internals and HOBs etc are a complete No No for a marine setup. And lastly, for a large tank, circulation is equally important as filtration is.