browning of substrate

Forum for discuss on algae.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

browning of substrate

Unread post by shergill00 »

I have silica as substrate in one tank and there was some brown stuff which looked like fish poop. I had gone out for a day and came back this browning seems to be little prominent. Is this what we call brown algae. Also i could see small fruit fly size things, they are not moving at all. Don't know what are these on one of the rocks and few on one plant.

I want to know how to control these as it makes tank look so shabby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: browning of substrate

Unread post by shergill00 »

And this brown thing was not moving like a poop would come up if we blow some water on it, as it remained sticking to the substrate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prajjwal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by prajjwal »

Algae... balance other parameters and specially keep an eye for same growth on leaves... reduce photo-period and frequent partial water change.

Regards,
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Algae indeed. Although its made your pristine white substrate lose its color, it has the advantage of making everything look more uniform. :D

That other stuff seemed to like fish poop. Sometimes the algae enmesh it in their colonies and then it kind of sticks to the substrate. Can't think of anything else. You've seen my tank! :lol: :lol:

I can see the gobies. Have you got the guppies too in this tank?
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sunny »

treat gluteraldehyde based products
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.

<Eminem>