A few artsy shots of my 60-P

Post your quires related to aquatic photography.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: A few artsy shots of my 60-P

Unread post by Matrix »

Matrix wrote:
sumer wrote:I just have a Canon 1000D. These shots were take either from 50 mm f/1.4 or 18-55 with macro rings on.
I dont have a macro lens. Macro rings work perfect for me.
Macro rings?? I do have Nikon 5100 with 18-200 lens dont use it often. Can you elaborate more on macro rings? Thanks
Photography experts any comments???
---
Amol
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sumer »

Hey guys,
Sorry for the delay in response.
I'm glad that you liked the photos thnk

Jib - The first one is with 1.4 which was a friend's. I have 1.8 with me.

As I said earlier- I have a Canon 1000D.

Amol- Here are the macro rings that I'm talking about. Easy to get in India. Very economical solution. I've been using mine for 2 years with good result. Of course not as good as a dedicated macro lens but still a good deal for its price.

Rings come in a set of 4-

I keep doing experiments with them. If you join all 4, it becomes really heavy and your auto focus wont work smoothly. So its better that when you are using all 4, go to manual. I generally use 2 of them- +1 and +2.

Here's a washed out test shot I took with all those 4 rings on. As you can see, DOF becomes really really thin.

They might cost you between 150-400 Rs (Depending on your location. Haha.. I bought them in Pune for 170. Abhisek bought the same thing in Bangalore for maybe 350.) Since the glass is not some special kind of optical glass, it might deteriorate the image quality. The more light you'll have the better the result would be. I just bought a flash and I'm getting good results with this very set of rings. Here are a few test shots that I took with Flash-

Syed- There are more than 60 species of plants. I'll try my best to come up with a list. To tell you the truth, I even tried it once but within a week I again had a dozen new species in there. So I stopped doing that. A very interesting thing is on its way right now- Caloglossa cf. beccarii.
Once its in, I'll post a complete list of plants.

Sumer.
P.S.- Does anybody know how to put a profile pic ? I tried but couldn't make it work. Feels odd without a pic :|
Last edited by sumer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
My aquarium photography: Plays Of Rays
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

fantastic click bro, this is excellent usage of rings, must say that, you have hit the right combination of every thing. The details of the shrimp is amazing.

I know its lil hard thing to ask, but you know i always like that info presented on the layout, its helps newbies like me about plant name and how they can be used in layouts. I personally think, buying plant is not an that bigger issue, bigger issue is how to use the plant in a layout and how that will grow.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

Thanks a lot summer, will check out the shops this weekend.
---
Amol
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

i have highlighted the plants which i am interested in knowing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sumer »

1- Staurogyne repens
2. Eriocaulon parkeri
3. Ammania sp bonsai
4. Blyxa japonica
5. I believe it was Ludwigia glandulosa x palustris. It grows much better and faster in emmersed state. So later I used it in my Viv.

Its an old photo. I've added so many new plants to this layout. Will tell you more about it sometime in another thread.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

what an instructive thread coolbig
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Sumer are you talking about these macro rings.

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product_de ... D=gp11zl17
http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product_de ... k=gp11zl17

Well if I go by the MRP mentioned on Nikon website even then i doubt they would be available for 150-300 bucks. Or are you using some other brand. I am having D5100 so would like to experiment with these.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

shergill00 wrote:Sumer are you talking about these macro rings.

Well if I go by the MRP mentioned on Nikon website even then i doubt they would be available for 150-300 bucks. Or are you using some other brand. I am having D5100 so would like to experiment with these.
Shergill,
The ones which you have mentioned are the adapter used when one wants to reverse the lens. i.e Remove the lens and reverse it and install for that this adapter is mounted on the front part of the lens so that it can be mounted on the camera body. But this is a bit tedious process everytime for macro snaps one has to remove the complete lens. Whereas the Macro rings which summer mentioned can directly be installed on front side of the lens, as you can see +1,+ 2,+3,+4 they are the level of macro zoom as required. The make may not be nikon, some local but effective.
---
Amol
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sumer »

Matrix wrote:
shergill00 wrote:Sumer are you talking about these macro rings.

Shergill,
The ones which you have mentioned are the adapter used when one wants to reverse the lens. i.e Remove the lens and reverse it and install for that this adapter is mounted on the front part of the lens so that it can be mounted on the camera body. But this is a bit tedious process everytime for macro snaps one has to remove the complete lens. Whereas the Macro rings which summer mentioned can directly be installed on front side of the lens, as you can see +1,+ 2,+3,+4 they are the level of macro zoom as required. The make may not be nikon, some local but effective.

Exactly. Consider these rings just as magnifying lens of various "powers" (Their focal lengths are different).
The ones that you have mentioned are reversal rings. They are amazing too. One can reach beyond life size using those reversal rings. I'm yet to try one. I always back off when it comes to expose the open end of the lens. I think maybe dust will enter the lens :?
These rings are easy to work with and dont harm your camera or lens.