DIY Vs Liquid Vs Pressurized Carbon

Post your quires on Carbon Dioxide and alternative products.
sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: DIY Vs Liquid Vs Pressurized Carbon

Unread post by sunny »

How can people say that in long term pressurized costs less than liquid ?? There is always a cost of maintenance in any mechanical equipment, for exmple the solenoid may get damaged and need repair, piping can get leaked, diffusers can get broken as it is a small glass equipment and there's always risk of mishandling, reactor can get jammed/less effective with time...
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.

<Eminem>
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

...and add the gassing out issue causing loss in livestock.

But Sunny lets talk price n numbers, as there is God in numbers.
So in a 10yr span what are your estimates. For all three?

Yep, we did deviate from orginal topic into economical solution, that's the mantra these days.

Edit, corrected name
Last edited by saikumar on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

sunny wrote:How can people say that in long term pressurized costs less than liquid ?? There is always a cost of maintenance in any mechanical equipment, for exmple the solenoid may get damaged and need repair, piping can get leaked, diffusers can get broken as it is a small glass equipment and there's always risk of mishandling, reactor can get jammed/less effective with time...
If you buy quality products then there is no cost of maintenence whatsoever, solenoid may get damaged only if you dont handle it properly, same is the case with glass diffusers (by the way plastic diffusers are also available in the market, if one thinks glass is so fragile then that person can choose plastic diffusers), Mishandling is owning to human error so one cannot blame the components..
Gas can be refilled for INR25 per kg which can easily last for a month depending upon the usage, while Excel cost for a month would be greater..
a CO2 cylinder is good to go for 5 years after which one has to do a hydraulic test and then can easily use it for a couple of more years, so considering the depreciation cost also a pressurized setup is cheaper in the long term (not for short term as intital setup cost would be high), especially for mid-to-large size tanks...
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

vijendra_s123 wrote:
sunny wrote:How can people say that in long term pressurized costs less than liquid ?? There is always a cost of maintenance in any mechanical equipment, for exmple the solenoid may get damaged and need repair, piping can get leaked, diffusers can get broken as it is a small glass equipment and there's always risk of mishandling, reactor can get jammed/less effective with time...
If you buy quality products then there is no cost of maintenence whatsoever, solenoid may get damaged only if you dont handle it properly, same is the case with glass diffusers (by the way plastic diffusers are also available in the market, if one thinks glass is so fragile then that person can choose plastic diffusers), Mishandling is owning to human error so one cannot blame the components..
Gas can be refilled for INR25 per kg which can easily last for a month depending upon the usage, while Excel cost for a month would be greater..
a CO2 cylinder is good to go for 5 years after which one has to do a hydraulic test and then can easily use it for a couple of more years, so considering the depreciation cost also a pressurized setup is cheaper in the long term (not for short term as intital setup cost would be high), especially for mid-to-large size tanks...
Good to hear that. What a pity most people have no idea what the good quality brands are. Many learn about them the hard way. .... lots of money down the drain till that stage already for those people.

I have been hankering for a ISTA since Rajiv made me an offer. .... it never materialised. Now, it seems India does not allow import of ISTA C02 cylinders of more than 500 g. That is what Sachdeva at East Delhi's huge wholesale shop tells me. Just too many red herrings to distract me... I am atsure most guys who haven't had a cylinder yet, have the cash to spare, but feel there are too many things to consider, and too many that can go wrong for them.

Sumer's posts (very helpful, thanks buddy coolbig ) talking about the poisonous effects of even a small precentage of C02 in a room, had added yet another concern for me. My room has no cross ventilation.