stingray

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
discus sing
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

stingray

Unread post by discus sing »

Any body having stingray experience? trying to feed hikari massiveore delight but in vain nor it is eating any live fish. It Is motoro sting ray of 10 inch in four feet tank.
sushant

Re: stingray

Unread post by sushant »

discus sing wrote:Any body having stingray experience? trying to feed hikari massiveore delight but in vain nor it is eating any live fish. It Is motoro sting ray of 10 inch in four feet tank.
don't have any experience with string rays but have read that for them floor area is more important than volume of tank and a 4 feeter is probably small for its requirement.
Sushant
jack

Unread post by jack »

Please share the picture of your tank along with the tank specs

Its is bit of harsh on the ray of 10inch in a 4 footer.... I would suggest to start thinking for a tank upgrade or may be avoid ray itself.....

Meanwhile try feeding him at night when the lights goes off
They also love fresh shrimps try that, dipped in garlic might eat

How old is the ray ? Was it eating ? How old is the tank ? What all it has in total ?
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

@discus sing i agree with jack on the size of tank. Mention here the full tank dimensions along with substrate and filtration. You can feed them with cut beef heart, fish fillet, earth worms, blood worms and live fish. And they need lot of open space to swim.

When i started this hobby couple of years back i was so fascinated by them that i wanted to keep them. But after studying in details for couple of month didn't pursue it as this beautiful creatures need big spaces which i couldn't provide and apart from that they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrate so water change should be frequent. Looking at the size these guys grow you should have bigger tank where width is important.
jack

Unread post by jack »

I would like to say shergill once they are set and are on pellets they are very hardy....

My lfS has 4 nos of monntor sting ray
It was a size of saucer and 3 were less than saucer they were in his 4X2
He never changed the water nor had a good filter
Water was like a dirt
Than they grew and are in his 6FeetX6feet cube and are thriving
They are now more than 13-14 inches and are agressive
I would say he just top ups the water and hardly does a water change may be 1nce in 2 months
System runs on just 1 eheim 2217 but fishes r great

Soo i would say they are hardy once set , initially they were not eating and he gave them shrimps (live) and beef slowly he shifte to hikari carnivorous pellets
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I might be wrong since i had not kept it but read a lot about it. But this was what i found on net, but at the same time these guys grow very big in wild. Depends on our friend discus sing whether he wants to keep rays or happy rays. After making my share of mistakes I prefer not to bring the fish if keeping it in good condition is beyond my scope.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

A 6 feet by 6 feet tank is a fairly large tank. However, note that these are NOT aggressive fish. They belong to the shark family but are very peaceful in nature.

Freshwater rays are mostly found in murky waters, that explains why the water change regime is not affecting them.

I have a basic question - are we talking rays here or sting rays ? A sting ray is a fairly dangerous animal to have as a pet in the hands of an inexperienced keeper.
jack

Unread post by jack »

Apuda we are talkinh about sting rays .....

Yes they are pretty dangerous :)
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I have been keeping track about the fresh water sting rays on RIver monsters, but in most of the cases where Jeremy Wade caught them were in the middle of the river, so i doubt if they live in murky waters, they do come in murky waters, but as per him they live at the bottom of river normally in the middle where it is deepest

Apuda 6 by 6 is indeed a big tank but the person starting the thread has 4 footer, though we don't know what is the width of tank.
jack

Unread post by jack »

Hey discus sing ..... Wasssup bro reply plz :)