Building large planted paludarium(10*11)feet

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
sushant

Re: Building large planted paludarium(10*11)feet

Unread post by sushant »

Install some pendant type light for underwater viewing and plant growth
Sushant
siddhartha.saive
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by siddhartha.saive »

That's an awesome setup Philip[emoji4]
Well planned and very well executed. You have the perfect climate for plants too living in God's own country[emoji6]

I have plans for a similar setup in the future[emoji16]

With such a large tank keep everything simple and failsafe. I have a 600 gallon planted tank myself (750 gallons with sump). Be sure to consider everything. Big setup big problems[emoji1]

Can you explain the filtration you have setup for the tank? Do you have an overflow?(I hope you do) The roof is open...? which will let in rain water too. Having an overflow will take care of any excess that comes in.

I suggest you set up an continuous automated water drip system.
You can run a small pipe to the tank or directly to the top of the waterfall which drips steadily at a constant rate 24/7. Water drips into the glass tank and the excess runs into the overflow and then into your backyard/garden/drain. Water level in the glass tank will always be same because of this.

HOW TO: Never do water changes: http://youtu.be/NrJ3eAE4qQE
Many similar videos available too.

You'll never need to turn on any taps or change water... ever.
Water will always be clean and crystal clear. It'll be grt for fish and plants. The flowing water will have more CO2 to constantly supply your submerged plants.

Another thing to consider is keeping the moisture 'in'. You can cover the front of the setup with glass(everything.. from the SS rail to the roof) and sliding glass doors, to make it an enclosure. I don't know if you have already mentioned this in any of your posts. It would keep most of the moisture in for the plants and outta your room. I'm sure you know this is how many of the Paludariums are built to keep lizards/frogs/snakes in.. if you are interested.

Your land area looks awesome. Your plan on running a pipe with holes to supply individual pockets should work good and be hidden. You can use a few water misters. I'm not sure if the sprinklers will work/look good.

Regarding the natural lighting I'm not sure how much lighting will reach the bottom.
Forget about algae. I don't think you'll have enough light. You can use 2 spotlights if you are really interested in keeping all those plants. If you do a good flow continous drip system you can grow any plant without using CO2 with good lighting.

If you don't want to add lights, you can do a simple setup with anubias/crypts/vals and maybe one or two big water lillies.

...or without plants like this
3000 liter paludaria summer 2012: http://youtu.be/-ky5ua7mgOg
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abin philip »

jack wrote:maintaining parameters in large tank is pretty easy IMO.... i would love to keep discus in this type of tank.... and discus loves hot water so that you ll have to heat the tank... and heating tank of this scale will cost bomb...

Keeping Heater ..No way ...want to keep the running cost as low as possible...wil try disucss once the tank settles down..may be after 2-3 months...the only thing running in the tank is a 80W pump...that to on Solar...so no running costs....
Last edited by abin philip on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

sushant wrote:Install some pendant type light for underwater viewing and plant growth

had thought of it ..but it will obstruct the view...and dont want to provide artificial lighting as of now...juz want to keep plants that can survive in natural light...will see in the long run if necessary...keeping the running cost as low as possible ...as of now just a 80 W pump that too on Solar...so running cost is Nill...
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

siddhartha.saive wrote:That's an awesome setup Philip[emoji4]
Well planned and very well executed. You have the perfect climate for plants too living in God's own country[emoji6]

I have plans for a similar setup in the future[emoji16]

With such a large tank keep everything simple and failsafe. I have a 600 gallon planted tank myself (750 gallons with sump). Be sure to consider everything. Big setup big problems[emoji1]

Can you explain the filtration you have setup for the tank? Do you have an overflow?(I hope you do) The roof is open...? which will let in rain water too. Having an overflow will take care of any excess that comes in.

I suggest you set up an continuous automated water drip system.
You can run a small pipe to the tank or directly to the top of the waterfall which drips steadily at a constant rate 24/7. Water drips into the glass tank and the excess runs into the overflow and then into your backyard/garden/drain. Water level in the glass tank will always be same because of this.

HOW TO: Never do water changes: http://youtu.be/NrJ3eAE4qQE
Many similar videos available too.

You'll never need to turn on any taps or change water... ever.
Water will always be clean and crystal clear. It'll be grt for fish and plants. The flowing water will have more CO2 to constantly supply your submerged plants.

Another thing to consider is keeping the moisture 'in'. You can cover the front of the setup with glass(everything.. from the SS rail to the roof) and sliding glass doors, to make it an enclosure. I don't know if you have already mentioned this in any of your posts. It would keep most of the moisture in for the plants and outta your room. I'm sure you know this is how many of the Paludariums are built to keep lizards/frogs/snakes in.. if you are interested.

Your land area looks awesome. Your plan on running a pipe with holes to supply individual pockets should work good and be hidden. You can use a few water misters. I'm not sure if the sprinklers will work/look good.

Regarding the natural lighting I'm not sure how much lighting will reach the bottom.
Forget about algae. I don't think you'll have enough light. You can use 2 spotlights if you are really interested in keeping all those plants. If you do a good flow continous drip system you can grow any plant without using CO2 with good lighting.

If you don't want to add lights, you can do a simple setup with anubias/crypts/vals and maybe one or two big water lillies.

...or without plants like this
3000 liter paludaria summer 2012: http://youtu.be/-ky5ua7mgOg

thanks for the detail review/suggestions.
Reply to the queries...

1: I have used a simple Pond filter with UV with 10000l/h capacity and a pump(10000l/h capacity) to pump water to the filter.
2.The top is not open.its glass on top.
3. Have provided overflow.
4. i am using the water in tank to water the garden..so there would be adequate replacement daily.so not thinking of continuous dripping.
5. I cant close the front of paludarium because that would affect the cross ventilation of the house..
6.Regarding sprinklers the problem i'm having is that the plant pots/holes in land area does not have drainage facility...thus continuous sprinkling/misting will result in water logging.
7. Trying keep plant that can do well in natural light and keep the system running at zero expense.
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Added Led Strip on beam ...

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Now looking more attractive.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sdenter
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sdenter »

wow my words r no where to match the beauty heart heart heart letsparty congrates coolbig yipi :coolph
devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by devchitra »

one of the best paludarium of world. congratulations.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

devchitra wrote:one of the best paludarium of world. congratulations.
i guess it is, and i'm sure it will get better as the plants grow and fill the emplt spaces.
Sushant