Which LFS advice amused you most ?

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Which LFS advice amused you most ?

Unread post by Kaushik »

Dear Members
All of us frequently visit Local Fish Shop to find new fish or gadgets..Now a days lot of young and educated people are venturing in aquarium trade, but things are not the same 20-25 years before. I'm not criticizing any LFS keeper but some time some where we got some advice from them regarding the displayed materials. So what I want to know which LFS advice amused you most ?
In my case once I got a brilliant idea from a LFS keeper to remove ICH white grains by using Dettol liquid.... :). Share your hilarious/ topsy turvy experiences here but never mention the LFS name or Locality which may hurt them, after all we are boarding in the same boat. Thanks for sharing.
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
navneethtk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Which LFS advice amused you most ?

Unread post by navneethtk »

Once my old LFS guy was trying to tell me that few of his fish such as kissing gourami, albino cories etc required special certificate to sell.

And at an another LFS I visited while I was searching for shrimps told me he will import shrimps at 250/each. When I asked the name of the shrimp. He said its rainbow shrimp.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I also have funny and hilarious experience:

Once I asked for the name of bulb plant (Aponogeton crispus). The shopkeeper told me that the plant having GUTHLI (Bulb), so its name is GUTHLI Plant.

In starting days of hobby, I had some gold fishes. I saw a Flowerhorn in a shop. I told him that I have some Gold Fishes, may I keep flowerhorn with them? He answered me yes. I brought flowerhorn and released in tank. Next morning there was no live Gold Fish.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
KarthikC

Unread post by KarthikC »

There are lots. In one of the cases, lfs guy was selling betta in a small transparent cup. When I asked him is it ok to keep it long term like that, he said "yes saaar, I've kept it for more than a year in that condition". I was in loss of words. The container was hardly enough for the betta to turn around. :(

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KarthikC

Unread post by KarthikC »

Btw, this is a nice thread. Thanks for starting it Kaushik ji.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

when i was kid i bought beautiful blood red small fishes which were sold to me
as Singapoor red fish....later on those fishes grew ,lost color n killed my existing fishes....they were channa ........

Sending from my mobile using tapatalk 2.Please excuse typos.

Regards,
Pinaki
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Nice thread. Deserves more attention IMO. Hence, necropost.
Most aquarium wallahs of south Delhi have a very clear demarcation when it comes to freshwater fish. Its either a 'Hard' fish or a 'Soft' fish.
I don't know from where did they learn that but they seem to be affixed to the idea. Apparently, Cichlids, Goldfish, Plecos and Catfish fall under the hard category and Livebearers, Barbs, Angelfish and Discus under the soft category. Whatever the reason. Any new species (oops, 'variety') they chance upon is quick to be categorized, based on its looks. Going by this understanding a LFS guy once sold me a Betta as a 'soft' fish (probably the velvety fins :p), and I was dumb enough to buy Zebra Cichlids as Platy tank mates. Off course I was 12 years old then. Meh!