Going Indian-FTS

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Going Indian

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Romi wrote: Vijendra, any idea what kind of native glass shrimp you have? They are three times the size of any glass shrimp I have seen.
Not sure what their scientific name is, got them as Ghost shrimps only and they are certainly different from the ones we get locally..
parthapratim22 wrote:Then shall I go with a 20 number of Macrobrachiums?
20.. :shock: Most of the Macrobrachium species (especially the males) are ultra agressive towards each other and they are even capable of hunting small fish. The Macrobrachium scabriculum that my Dad had even used to try and grab a Pterophyllum sp. that was atleast 3 times larger than him.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

parthapratim22 wrote:macrobrachiums was my first choice, even over any shrimp for this setup. But thought they will disturb the Schistura.

Then shall I go with a 20 number of Macrobrachiums?

I just cant wait, it will be awesome with

1) Oreichthys cosuatis a group of 25number
2) Chela Dadiburjori a Gruop of 15number
3) Schistura sp.a group of 10numbers
and
4) Any Macrobrachiums, if I can get brown or black if I remember Andrewda s POSTs.

Just two Macrobrachiums bro. As vijjy says, they might be troublesome. Hiding in the stones and waving their arms menacingly... heart
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I was thinking of small sp of Microbracium!!! I guess we have some. The size you are talking will definitely kill small fishes, any idea on the smaller variety. I am also searching!!!

Thanks a lot for serious inputs.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
navneethtk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by navneethtk »

parthapratim22 wrote:I was thinking of small sp of Microbracium!!! I guess we have some. The size you are talking will definitely kill small fishes, any idea on the smaller variety. I am also searching!!!

Thanks a lot for serious inputs.
You get dwarf green eyed macrobrachiums. Don't know where to source them from but they're commonly found in Tamil nadu ponds. I had some long ago. They never grew over an inch and a half.

Sent from my Panasonic P11
parthapratim22

Get a collection of Fish, will update soon, List is quite different.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]...
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

nice to hear about an Indian fish based tank. i hope there will be a super duper tank.
parthapratim22

So now I have some mixed variety of Fishes
Dawkinsia tambraparniei
Dawkinsia filamentosus
Cherry Barb , Australian Rainbows, Lseries Pleco.

Planning to work with fish selection, as this collection suddenly shifted from client place, I guess I am holding this temporarily.
Couple of shot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Going Indian-FTS

Unread post by Romi »

gosh, that is a lot of fish :roll:

The Tambrapanei seem too large for it, smaller will be better I think, like the Cherry barbs. Love those fish.... Have found only one to keep so far, Vijjy was the source.

What pleco is it? All the plecos have an L series number, no exception except the really old species. If it is a small speices, it will look good grazing on the spherical stones, they will be a great showcase.
KarthikC

Re: Going Indian-FTS

Unread post by KarthikC »

Partha da, If you don't mind, I have some comments.

1.) Lighting: Bright, white-ish lighting would give a nice, natural feel to the tank.
2.) As Romiji said, Tamraparnei barbs get big and become very active. They eat all the food even if the Hikari algae wafers are dropped, they sniff it out and finish it off, leaving other fish hungry. Greedy fish they are, lovely nevertheless.
3.) Get a school of some nice garra, like garra mullya. They clean off the algae and will look very nice in your tank.
4.) Some other suggestions of fish (Indian): Botia Loaches (striata, Dario, Almhorae) these loaches can be good snail eaters: pick snails from other tanks and drop it here, Catfish (mystus sp.,), Other barbs (Rosy, Puntius Bimaculatus, etc.), Garra Mullya school (does a much better job than Plecos), Glossogobius Sp. (i have this guy in my tank, takes pellets). I am not suggesting to get all of them, but a good combination that works best for you.

Hope you don't mind the suggestions. Good luck.

Cheers,

Karthik

Hope you don't mind the comments.